Sexing Oscars

Barca888

Ive always known one of my oscars has to be female sicne i always find eggs. Today I actually caught them in the act and only one of them was laying eggs. I know its very hard to sex oscars but the one which was laying eggs had this vent in which the eggs were being released on the glass bottom. The other oscar had a similar thing? Are these both females or does the male have a similar organ?

Thanks Peter

Hey peter,

They could be 2 females but i highley doubt it, they wont usually spawn with out a male to encourage them. You could flip them over and see if they have the same vent`s as each other at least then you know you have 2 females or a female and a male. Are the eggs ever fertilised?? or do they go white and fungus?? Here is a link to a good website on how to ventsex fish. HTH Cheers Andy

The eggs never last more than 24 hrs ;\. Either the parents know they are infertile. They did have similar looking vents and after around 24 hrs the larger oscar turned on the smaller oscar. My blackbelt took advantage of this situation and had a nice lil brunch.

Thx for the url

Archived