Catfish compatability

searlesy

Are there any particular catfish that I shouldnt keep together? At the moment, I have bristlenose, upside down catfish, and a salmon tail (all in different tanks). What I want to do, is put a pleco into a tank that already has a BN in it to supplement the cleanup crew, in another tank, I was thinking of putting a pleco in with a salmontail, and finally I was thinking about putting a BN in a tank that has an upside down cat in it.... Does anybody anticipate prolems with this?

Hi,

I have read that putting pleco's together in some cases there might be an agression factor, then again this depends on how large your tank is and food supply i guess. I have two pleco's in my tank who quarell at times, but to no great extent.

IMO i think you would be fine with the addition of a pleco to your tanks would be perfectly fine, as they are docile fish that go on about their business. I have seen salmontails with pleco's and bristlenoses in a 4 foot setup they were all a big happy family. biggrin.gif

Hope this post helped you out cheers cool.gif

Hi,

I keep a variety of cats - my largest a fifteen year old plec who is about 35cm long.

He is in with pictus, Syndontis, bristlies, bumblebee, sail fin plecs etc.

There is definate aggressive behaviour in most cats but as already mentioned sufficient tank space and available territories are the key. Most of these have also grown up together which makes a huge difference.

I have also observed increase in aggression when particular male cats are in competition where females are concerned. biggrin.gif What else is new?

Cheers

Thanks guys, the upside down catfish is in a 3 footer, which has quite a few fish in it (including the upside down cat), but should have enough territory I think. The salmon tail is in a 6 footer with an Australian Bass, I was thinking of putting a pleco in this tank, as it is on a semi shaded verandah, and has lots of algae on the glass. I was also thinking of putting a pleco in my Oscar tank, as the BN that is in there now just isnt doing the job keeping it clean.

Probably a question I should have asked first, but will a pleco do a similar job to a BN of keeping my glass clean?

It has been said that bristlenose do the best job of cleaning algae, I tend to feel that pleco's are more aesthetically pleasing and do just as good of a job. In regards to keeping a pleco with an oscar, just make sure that the pleco is large enough otherwise the oscar will nip at it

Cheers

I might be asking for trouble but right now i have ten catfish together in my display tank from 10cm's to probably 20cms and all are of the pleco style of catfish so will all end up at 20 + cm's most likely.

They parade around a bit and have all been in teh tank for quite some time and so far no casualties.

Until last weekend i also had fifteen bristle nose in their and also 13 corydoras. Sold the corys and kept the bristles fopr breeding the males were up to about 10cm's plus.

Mark

Thanks guys, the upside down catfish is in a 3 footer, which has quite a few fish in it (including the upside down cat), but should have enough territory I think. The salmon tail is in a 6 footer with an Australian Bass, I was thinking of putting a pleco in this tank, as it is on a semi shaded verandah, and has lots of algae on the glass.

Probably a question I should have asked first, but will a pleco do a similar job to a BN of keeping my glass clean?

I was also thinking of putting a pleco in my Oscar tank, as the BN that is in there now just isnt doing the job keeping it clean.

blink.gif

Be careful ,even if the plec is big enough to not be worried by the oscar ,he goes to work when the oscar is asleep.

Have you ever seen what a spooked,just woken up oscar can do to tank in the middle of the night ?

Certainly i have found that the plecs etc seem to keep the major algae at bay in my tank.

As for how i got the tank in i will post an updated pic or two of what it looks like on my website tonight if i get time.

Mark

Archived