Julidocromis Regani bubs

Sloany

Hi all,

I've got 5 J. Regani's in a std 2ft tank, 3M & 2F (I think). 2 have paired off and the other night I noticed some small fry hiding amongst the rocks. :thumbup:

I have 2 questions I'd appreciated some feedback on;

Should I leave the other 3 Regani's in the tank with the pair or remove them? I read somewhere that leaving the others in the tank as dither fish stops the pair from picking on each other too much. The others do seem to be hiding more than usual atm as mum and dad are chasing them away from the breeding cave.

Also what food do you suggest I use for the fry?

Cheers

Shane

Hey mate,

Congrats on the fry!

I suggest you get rid of the remaining 3 fish. I say this because once julies pair off and breed they will become very protective amongst the other fish, yours may not have got to this stage but you'd be best off removing the others to be safe. I have never had a pair of julies turn against each once they have started to breed. If you want sucessful step brooding and no dead fish then just have the pair in the tank. If you have vinegar eels or microworms that would be best as a starter food, if not crushed flake could be a substitute for now.

HTH,

Richard.

congrats on the fry...

i had 5 j transcriptus in a 4 foot, 2 paired off and very soon i only had 3 julies. now i have 2 breeding females and one very busy male who goes between them which i think is kind of unusual but im not complaining.

as for food the fry in my tank pick off the scraps from the Tropheus feeding frenzys

Thanks for sharing your experiences Richard and dogboy.

I was leaning towards taking them other 3 out. Checking them tonight the 3 are hiding in the corners of the tank, so they will have to be moved before there are deaths.

dogboy, it sounds like you've got a pretty angry boy but doing a great job looking after 2 girls. Maybe that was his plan all along :lol4:

I've been feeding them flake atm, but will pick up some microworms on the weekend.

Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

Shane

Archived