L# for Peppermint BN in Oz

MikeWs Fish

Hi peeps,

I just received my copy of the Back to Nature Guide to Catfish.

I was reading though it and I think Peppermint BN in Australia may be L071/L181/L249

If you have a copy read pages 68 and 69 and have a look at pictures 4 and 6.

They say this species is very similar to A dolichopterus but with fewer soft rays in the dorsal fin. Also, it says that only the juveniles have white fin endings. I think by all acounts this eems to be our peppermint BN

What do you guys think that have read the book?

Mike.

Hi Mike, I agree 100%. I posted it on here in another thread regarding Ingo's comments on the white seams and on the dorsal ray count.

Also according to all other literature the L183 is a blackwater species that does not breed easily in mains water, whereas the "peppermint" we have here seem to breed with relative ease in a wide range of water params.

Cheers,

Brett

Also according to all other literature the L183 is a blackwater species that does not breed easily in mains water, whereas the "peppermint" we have here seem to breed with relative ease in a wide range of water params.

If you talk to the old codgers in the fishy scene you'll find that "our" peppermints didn't breed with any sort of ease, relative or otherwise, for the first 10-15 years it was here so I wouldn't put too much weight on this particular factor.

They didn't really break out of the frustrating-to-breed category until say 5 years ago although I don't know if that coincides with the existing bloodlines finally adapting to our conditions or an influx of new blood (anecdotally there has been a fair influx of new bloodlines into the country in recent years and some of the breeders with those lines have mentioned they're easier to breed than their existing stock)

If you talk to the old codgers in the fishy scene you'll find that "our" peppermints didn't breed with any sort of ease, relative or otherwise, for the first 10-15 years it was here so I wouldn't put too much weight on this particular factor.

They didn't really break out of the frustrating-to-breed category until say 5 years ago although I don't know if that coincides with the existing bloodlines finally adapting to our conditions or an influx of new blood (anecdotally there has been a fair influx of new bloodlines into the country in recent years and some of the breeders with those lines have mentioned they're easier to breed than their existing stock)

Good point Laurie, I guess it is all has to be looked at in relation to the length of time they have been available, it is quite feasible that the ones folks abroad are still having the difficulties with may be W/C or F1 at best as they obviously have better access to stock of the nature.

Still I think Mike is correct in regards to the white seam being a tell tale factor, I might try to get a hold of one of my adults and do a dorsal ray count.

L cats are with out a doubt going to cause mass confusion and arguments between the lumpers and the splitters for years to come.

No worries mate, it's only through constant research that we as a community make any progress on these sorts of topics and questioning what is always "accepted" and challenging boundaries that we make headway :thumbup:

Cheers,

Brett

Mine have a greenish over tone to the spots when young but with the white seam it reduces with age until the have white spots only, on PF there is a pic of an adult L183 male that a gent has nursed back to health and the white seams are still very evident. I am curious if anyone here has a mature fish male or female that has this trait.

l183 are here.. A guy in shell harbour was selling them on pf a few months back

Did he have pics of the parents to show the white seam carried on into adulthood?

back around 2002/3 there appeared to be two different flavours of peppermints going around. One that held the white seams well into adulthood (but eventually disappeared) and one that lost them at around the 7-8cm mark.

Unfortunately the ones that seemed to breed the most prolifically (and the only ones I've seen for some time) were the ones that lost their white seams at a relatively young age.

Archived