Interest groups

YeW

Hi All -

I thought it might be nice to try and organise special "interest" groups within the forum. So for example as I am into stepped breeders we could have a Julidochromis/Neolamprologus interest group who meet in chat (say once a month) to discuss, exchange information, swap fish etc..

Not sure how to organise this - probably don't have enough time to be honest - but I thought I'd raise the possibility.

Hey Dave,

sounds like a nice idea this interst groups as we can share alot of info to other members breeding or keepnig th same fish. It would be nice to talked to other expericened breeders of a type of fish you are trying to breed.

so yeha you have my vote on that Dave.

The thing is would you be making a sub-channel for this group as other people may be using the chats main channel.

cheers

Richard

How about an Import List Lobby Group!!!!

There was a thread closed on this recently, but if we all just complain about how it won't happen, without even trying then we will never get anything added to the import list. So all the boo-hooers can leave it be and keep thier opinions. But if there are others out there who want to try and put together a submission then LETS DO IT!

Skidoo -

I'm not really keen to add any more species to the Australian hobby until we learn to responsibly care for those which we have here (something that is yet to happen).

The drive for something "new" almost always seems to result in the loss of something we already had in the mania.

I think a group on species maintenance would be more useful.

How about a Catfish Interest group! :D :lol: :D

Seriously there are quite a few people out there who are very interested about learning more about catfish (including me :) ).

wazza

I agree Yew, i simply said it because people seem to want to add more species, yet seem unwilling to do it themselves. They need to be coerced into making a stand. Personally i would be happy with a more effiecient native keepers forum, too many of us know everything there is to know about foreign species, yet ask them about a native specie and they got no idea???

But if we leave the import list as is, it'll stay that way. We have to let people know that there is an interest in changing it, and we have to let them know how many people have an interest.

If i had my way, we'd exterminate (harsh word for a harsh purpose) every non-native species in the country, including sheep, cows, wheat, corn and every other thing some dudE has brought to our beautiful country. Even humans should be put on the huntable species list.

But if the idiots in charge of this nation are going to let some things in then they could at least use well informed and knowledgeable means to decide what is manageable and what isn't.

I suppose what i'm saying is, we've already stuffed this country up as far as introduced species go, so lets either make it better and fix the damage we've done, OR stop trying to save a sinking ship and just let everything in. I know this sounds silly but ultimately it's only going one way.

If we don't wan't introduced sepcies in our waterways (as all it takes is one idiot to put them there) then we should all switch to native species, and cease keeping cichlids. The effort spent on them could be better spent in unravelling the mysteries of a species that has never been succesfully bred/kept in captivity, like many of our little know freshwater species.

Archived