Sick Red jewel

fishfreak84

I have a male Red Jewel (who is a very successful breeder) who is housed in a 2 1/2 ft tank with his mate. Both these fish have been producing viable offspring for the last two years. I regulary do a 25% water change every three weeks and once a month I service the filter. After the eggs have hatched I remove the female from the tank and I usually have no problems.

In the last month I have noticed that the male has taken to just sitting on the bottom of the tank, he eats quite enthusiasticly; I give a combo of flake and fresh food, He has started turing a grey colour and sometimes is found lying on his side. the first time i found him like this I presumed he was dead untill i tried to remove him which he then swam off a fast as he could. He does this about twice a week and now I just sit and watch and sure enough he just swims off after a while.

Now I have been to a fish shop without the fish and they told me that he seems to stressed so they told me to remove the female which I did but he seems to stay the same. And as I didnt have a definate diagnoses I didnt want to treat for just anything untill i was sure.

Can some one help I will provide pics if needed. Please help! :confused:

Archived