Help Needed Please...

Hoddz

Are they moving?

do you feed your abn bloodworm?

If they are moving then it is worm, but I haven't seen worm like this normally they are white or clear.

But Limegirl could be right...

If they are not moving they could be from the bloodworm

Stop feeding them if it is the case.

I have had the red worms like this before. Mind you I never considered bloodworm, as I do feed some frozen bloodworm.

If you watch very carefully you will notice that they will dip towards the gravel and move around very slightly - especially when food is in the water.

Disgusting little things!

PS: I have most commonly seen them in BNs.

They look the same as the worms I had in my guppies a few months back :( If they are then they are called camallanus worms and looking at that pic I would be getting some treatment ASAP.

U can use a pig wormer called Big L, heres a couple of places you can get it from http://www.2easy.com.au/shop/article.php?article=2090, http://vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.php?pr...at=0&page=1

Hope she makes a full recovery :)

She's pretty badly infected. I'd be going out tomorrow and buying some "Avitrol Plus" it's a bird wormer available from any pet and produce place. It costs about $11 for a pack of 100.

Use at a dose of 1 tablet per 10L of water. Predissolve the tablets before adding. This med paralizes the worms which lets the fish pass them out of their system. The worms will then lay on the bottom of the tank paralises them. Vacuum the bottom of the tank within the first 24 hours. i can't stress this enough as the worms once on the bottom of the tank will look like food to the fish in the tank. Do a water change on about day 3 of about 30-40%. You should start seeing the worms on the bottom of the tank at around 6 hours.

Repeat treatment in 2 weeks with another treatment 2 weeks after. So at weeks 2 and 4 after initial dose.

Fingers crossed that she'll pull through for you.

I've used this treatment on our abns, osbn, commons, and a few cichlids when we had an outbreak about 6 months ago and we had no fatalies only good results. It's very easy to spread the worms from tank to tank so if you have more than one tank i'd be checking the rest of them just to make sure.

I think you will find you will need to do a 100% water change if you use Bird wormer.

Bird wormers generally have sugars in them to make them palatable for birds....doesn't hurt fish....but in a couple of days you get the mother of all bacterial blooms

Thanks all, for your replies and responses. In my mad dash to find some today in between work and my tafe course i managed to check 5 different stores for the product you described xback but to no avail my last choice (things getting pretty desperate now) she is looking pretty bad. i ended up going to the Chemist and getting some vermox because of its active constituant being mebendazole w/100 mg per 5 ml and now have got bloodworm soaking in this and will after it have been soaking a few hours will feed my tank. :confused: i am fingers crossed and hoping for the best i will keep you posted..

hoddz

:dntknw:

Thats a very bad dose of camallanus worms. she wont live much longer. See how black her stomach is. I have meds to treat her and I am at Ourimbah. I sent you a Pm. See meanbre's post it is the best treatment IMO.

Hope you took her out of your tank and place her in a hospital tank

But if you can get a worming table in your lfs still put it in your main tank.

Just to be sure that no eggs were eaten by the rest.

Good luck

Xback

I think you will find you will need to do a 100% water change if you use Bird wormer.

Bird wormers generally have sugars in them to make them palatable for birds....doesn't hurt fish....but in a couple of days you get the mother of all bacterial blooms

I used this product a few times with my and others fish and have never had any probs with bacteria or anything else. It is a medication generally used in the U.S and we have done plenty of research about it and only good reports. I used quiet a few different products recommended by lfs's and they never worked properly. So good luck in whichever way you go and hope you get rid of it soon. Th sooner the better.

We got our meds from the pet shop boys in mayfield. If you go to a big pet shop that caters for everything you might find some lfs wont have any.

Hey all just keeping you's posted. Got the tablet form of Avitrol plus today and treated the main tank with 12 tablets and i have the bad infected ABN in just my fish bucket with heater and air stone 20ltrs with 1 1/2 tablets in with her i dont think she will make it she is gasping at the top of the bucket. :dntknw: not happy but what else can i do. the Lamprologus meleagris are not mine they are my next step. I have just got into tang's and i have fallen for the mele's. The only tang's i have at the moment are Brevis, punks and multies. once i have sucessfully spawned these (once i get over this worm) i wish to set up my other tanks with gold occies and melegris. but 1st things first. Just got new computer and going from windows to mac got no idea on this but sure is faster.

Thanks yet again.

James :thumb

g'day mate, good luck with the treatment.

I thought you might find this article interesting,

you might be on the right track if Levamisol is the active ingredient in Avitrol.

http://www.zebrapleco.com/article3.php

The active ingredients in Avitrol Plus are Levamisole and Praziquantel.

Here is a very informative link on Levamisole. Everything you need to know about levamisole is in this link.

Levamisole Article

It works really well....just make sure that you vacuum out the tank within the first 24 hours as within 6 hours the fish will start passing the worms, which will then look like food to other fish in the tank.

The fish in the main tank seem fine havent noticed any worms in them at anytime. But the segregated ABN still has them protuding and there doesnt seem to be as many but there still seems to be a couple hanging around... :dntknw:

James

The fish in the main tank seem fine havent noticed any worms in them at anytime. But the segregated ABN still has them protuding and there doesnt seem to be as many but there still seems to be a couple hanging around... :dntknw:

James

It is still in the 24 hours since you added the meds, I wouldn't be worried about there still being worms in her.

This is a great med, But as with most it does not cure overnight. The majority of the worms will pass in 24 hours of treatment, and you will still be able to notice worms being passed over the next few days as the med works it's way through. This is why i recommend the water change on day 3 as that is when the majority of the med has passed through the fish.

Make sure you retreat in 2 weeks time as any eggs that may be left will have hatched and you need to rid them before they are able to reproduce starting the cycle again.

This is taken from the Levamisole article i linked to earlier

Absorption is systemic within 3 - 4 hours. Within three days 70% of the medication will be gone from the fish via its excretory system. The vast majority of the compound will have been metabolized by your fish. The remainder can be removed by water changes and/or adding activated charcoal to your filtration system.

Hi all, lost her and now a few others. Getting scared when i come home now to turn the tank light on and see other fatalities. Worm seems to have gone now but so that is a sign now time to build up the stock again.

all up lost 5 fish to this and not very happy but at least looking at it better 5 thyen all i suppose.

Will post WTB.

Thanks all.

James.

Hi all, lost her and now a few others. Getting scared when i come home now to turn the tank light on and see other fatalities. Worm seems to have gone now but so that is a sign now time to build up the stock again.

all up lost 5 fish to this and not very happy but at least looking at it better 5 thyen all i suppose.

Will post WTB.

Thanks all.

James.

Sorry to hear you lost her and a few others. She did have a bad case of worms and atleast you tried, i know of people that have just killed the fish to save them any hassle. It's a shame you lost any but atleast now the remaining fish have been treated.

Remember to gravel clean /vacuum to make sure that there is nothing in the gravel or on the bottom of the tank and do the 30/40% water change if you haven't already (the one that i had recommended to do on day 3). and retreat in another 10 days or so to make sure that you don't have another outbreak.

Archived