power consumption meter

chorrylan

hi,

for those who like to see how much power your various pumps, lights and heaters are consuming; Zazz http://www.zazz.com.au/index.php are selling an MS6115 power consumption meter for $29.80 + $6.90 postage "today".

You can get them from jaycar for around that price but for those without ready access to jaycar or who just like instant gratification and spontaneous purchasing the zazz option might be the go (but the product will only be on sale until midnight tonight 01/07/2008)

IPB Image

Hang on guys....Is this really a good idea???

I mean, if we can see how much power we are using then so can the wife OR the husband, depending on your situation....

Then it's impossible to blame the air con, or the pool pump or whatever else.....because it's never our fish. haha.

I know how much power my tanks are using: when I get the electricity bill.lol. Isnt isnt hard to work out how much by adding up the wattage used per hour, except for heaters that is, which turn on and off. If my wife new how much - I would have to get rid of some tanks!

funny thing is (NOT!) I just got my electricity bill and it was almost $400 and I have gas heating,gas hot water and gas cooking. Looks like i will need to consolidate some tanks. :wallbash:

Looks like i will need to consolidate some tanks. :wallbash:

That's exactly where one of those dooveys comes in handy; you can confirm beforehand what the saving would be from consolidation to avoid disappointing things like consolidating and finding the bill hardly changes. You might get lucky and work out that switching a light off or using lower power tubes or using a more efficient pump saves you from having to lose a tank.

I was a little surprised to find the variance between labelled power consumption and actual consumption. For smaller devices they were often using less than the declared consumption and pumps in particular tended to use more than their rated consumption (one pump in particular that I hadn't paid much attention to was consuming about 100 watts more than I thought ... that adds up).

Putting it on something like a heater allows you to work out how much it really consumes over say a week instead of having to guesstimate how much of the time it is on.

Archived