Synodontis petricola

Storm Boy

:raisehand: Hi there, i noticed my colony of petricola babies are nearly ready to start breeding.

I took this pic the other day of them checking out the breeding pot, they are 3 and a half years old

IPB Image

Brenden

Thanks sicj,

S. petricola don`t need a host to breed, they will just go in the pot and breed at their own leisure & sprinkle eggs into the marbles in the bowl under the pot.

Once they start, they can lay over 200 eggs a week whenever they want, unlike the S. multipunctatus (they need a host) can only breed when the cichlids are ready.

Brenden.

Nice fish Brenden,

I have a few of these myself.

I made a breeding pot and fry saver the other day (might be getting a bit ahead of myself though, they are only around 6-7cmTL... :B )

What size are yours?

I have had mine for around a year now and am not sure how long the previous owner had them, so i dont know their age.

Cheers

Joel

Hi Joel,

I `d love to see some pics of your cats.

6-7 cm eh? Thats fine they won`t get much bigger, these are the dwarf sp. petricola,..... luccipinnis i think they call them now.

i`m not sure how long these ones are but they look exactly like their parents, so they must be at least 7cm.

The normal S. petricola is bigger, over 10cm and they look slightly different, my guess is you have the dwarf.

Question is, how big were your fish when you got them? then we can work out how old they, because they will reach 6-7cm in two years but they don`t become mature until they are 3 years and 11 months.

here`s another picture of some.

IPB Image

Brenden

Hey Brenden,

Mine were roughly 5-6cmTL when i got them. They havent been doing much growing since...

Will try to get some photos up later, they are pretty shy fish.

Cheers

Joel

Well Joel, i`d say yours are about 2 and a half, around that, so maybe another year and some before you (um, your fish) get some action, you`ll see red swollen bellies on the girls and males will start to fight. Males will also hook their tails in front of likely females.

Brenden

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Very nice pict :clap

They look almost like cuckoo catfish. How can you tell the different?

Thanks Teeguy,

They also have smaller eyes and S. petricola have a more slender body compared to lazy cuckoos, sort of like comparing a reef shark to a fat wobbegong :)

Yep,, as YAL05T said cuckoos are bigger and get to around 15-17cm whereas petricola (dwarf sp.) wouldnt grow much bigger than 10cm.

JMO i think S. petricola is a lot more interesting species than S. multipunctatus to watch in general but when it comes to breeding, the cuckoos win hands down every time over any other fish i have owned/bred.

IPB Image

Archived