Bettas- After spawning...

23Skidoo

Thanks, i wasn't sure what to do. He's gotten really lazy and leaves the fallen fry for a while before he bothers to swim around and pick em up. They've spawned at really low tempm, so they are developing slowly, and i'm worried the mae will just lose interest all together.

Hey,

You better throw in a heater asap since they will die or not hatch from the cold temperature. Your bets putting one in since it makes the growth rate of the fry faster. Also the males matabolism may be slow that is why he is not picking up the eggs.

cheers

Richard

Well, they spawned at about 19-20 degrees, but by the time i realised this might be too cold, the eggs hatched, and i've still got some fry. I don't want to add a heater, as changing the water temp too quick will kill my fry. Dad, sbeen in there now for about a week without food, tending the nest/eggs/fry. I'd say there are about 15-20 fry that i can see easily, but i have a plant in there with them so they tend to stick to that and hide.

I've been keeping the room as warm as i can, i'm not willing tomess with their water until they are better swimmers.

You can raise the temp slowly - 1 or 2 degrees a day, this won't harm or shock the fry. If the temp is at around 20 degrees the fry will probably die, or if they don't they will develop very slowly. Ideally it should be around 26-28 degrees.

I think at night the temp will fluctuate even more. Try and get a heater in there:)

Well there are still a few fry going on, they seem to swim about on their own now, but they tend to stick to the plant in there, they seem to be eating off the plant, so i've been adding a tiny pinch of powdered fry food. And then syphoning out the excess.

I have a little heater i could add to it, since i started to add more water and raise the water level a bit today. But ti can't really add it till tomorrow as it's keeping my guppies comfy. I've gotta acclimate them to cold water!

I must admit that this spawn is probably going to get away from me. But it's my first go and i can only improve on this attempt. I know now to heat my breeding tanks, but it's going to get expensive, having to heat them all.

I'll add a heater tomorrow morning, and let you know what happens!

Archived