Laguna Max-flo pumps

AzFish

Hi Aaron,

I run all mine (over 12) with no cage, no dramas. Use filter wool to capture any large particles, these are designed to handle larger watse, so it is more a precaution. The impleelor for these does need to be taken out and washed in water periodically to ensure max flow, and the frequency depends on how much watse the tank or system produces. Apart from that they seem to be bullet proof.

cheers

Grant

• 10 months later...

Hey I found this old post whilst digging around for pump information, I am pretty sold on the Ocean Runners but have found I can get Laguna's a bit cheaper or more flow same price, so am seeking a bit more input.

Are there others that use the Laguna's cage less or if parkesq reads this post again" still no problems going cage less?

Yes you can hard run them with pvc from pump to tank. Yellow on here has them hard run, but said they are a bit more noisey this way. Not a problem if its in a garage or similar. Price wise im pretty sure you'll find the OR series cheaper then lagunas, but not by much. if you go for thr oceanrunners then go here

www.thereefshop.com.au the cheapest ive seen either. and its where i get mine

If thats the case being the cheapest yipp than he should go to aoa and tell them then recieve 10% off their price hehe :)

Are you sure they sell OR though? just checked and couldnt see it :(

Then again just checked AOA and couldnt see them either.

Thanks for the replies, noise isn't an issue really as it is in a garage / fish room. I just prefer PVC IMO less likely to have problems.

ATM

Laguna 6000 = approx $234

Laguna 7500 = approx $270

Ocean Runner 6500 = $235 -$272

well the reef shop sell both. :yes:

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?ma...amp;x=0&y=0

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?ma...;keyword=laguna

But yeah aoa are awesome. And everyone who has used them can swear by them, if they'll beat it by 10% then i would go there. if your running more then one tank to the sump using the pump in question i would suggest the laguna, its meant for larger amounts of debris, i think the or series is better for single tank use, but not limited too.

Also as for the original post, they are rnot supposed to be run cageless. But if it works?

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/zpumps/lag...axflo_pumps.htm

Yep the main point I am after clarification on is the cage less one, I have read the technical data, but from my understanding the Laguna pumps are designed with ponds in mind and the fact that in this situation there is a high chance of large floating debris being passed through and damaging the impellor hence the cage to prevent this. I hope I am correct in assuming that if it is being used in an overflow situation and passing through a sump with adequate mechanical filtration then there should be no worries?

Cheers

Ross

I run a laguna 9000 and 11000 units both with their cages on (because I have the space to do so.) and have been really happy with them so far.

Pesonally I'd be nervous runnign them without some sort of prefiltration because I'd hate to cause avoidable damage having a snail or a piece of matrix hittime an impellor blade.

That said I'd be much braver doing this with the laguna units than with an Ocean Runner.

I have OR 6500 and 3500 units though they're not in use at present and whilst they're nice units they really don't like sand/snails/whatever getting sucked into them (as they have huge impellors which makes them very quiet and stable but also makes them susceptible to damage if anything gritty gets sucked in)

Archived