Repair for cracked tank

outbackdean

Hi

is there any way of repairing a cracked tank 6x2x2 it is cracked on the back glass from top to bottom right in the middle it is 10mm glass.

It is only my spare shed tank , I left it outside to clean and it became cracked (the kids no nothing about it , funny that ) so the repair does not have to be pretty but it has to work.

I though of plating it with perspex 10mm on the inside but will that work ?

any thoughts ?

I do not want to cut the glass out and replace the full back as this would cost more than a new tank out here !

Thanking you

Outbackdean

you could try and silicon glass on both sides but it is a big risk that the tank will break when it is full and that is a lot of water, glass etc. The best way is to replace the whole glass but yes it is expensive. You could seperate all the glass and make smaller tanks? or depending on price completely cover the back with a large piece of perspex. The risk of the tank breaking inside your house is not worth it. I have heard of a few people whose six footers have mysteriously broken.

ryan

what do you mean by just the top piece. the lids ?or the bit in the middle. either way measure the glass and go to a glazier and get some cut, the repair is fairly simple. cut the silastic holding the glass in. clean around the area with a razor blade etc and silastic a new piece in. If your not confident take the tank to the glazier or phone one, but that will be more expensive and maybe not economical.

[quote name='outbackdean' date='Jun 3rd

I though of plating it with perspex 10mm on the inside but will that work ?

any thoughts ?

would've had to a fair whack to crack 10mm glass, you should be able to see an impact area.

don't worry about using perspex, aquarium safe silicone will not adhere to it.

besides, if you have to buy it, that will be almost the price of glass.

to repair; you will need a peice of 10mm glass 2ftx18". cut the old silicone away from the base join, clean the tank and the patch well with prepsol or a similar product. use aquarium safe silicone, run a bead around the the perimeter and several lines from top to bottom of the patch. lay the tank on it's back, place the patch, then press heavily to spead the silicone beads as best you can, put a few bricks on it to maintain some pressure while it sets. leave it for 72hrs to attain maximum strenght. give the tank a good wash with salty water, fill it up and cross ya fingers for good luck [that's the important tip :lol3: ]

it works, i've done a couple :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

So is this little 4 footer worth repairing or should I just replace it?

I don't have any gear to do a repair and haven't done one. Would be willing to try but would like to know if it would be cost effective and if the tank would be trustworthy afterwards.

Also the tank cost me nothing in the first place.

IPB Image

Hi

I got a price on 10mm glass 24"x 18" ?

The price they quoted $106 and they would have to order it in .(they only stock 6mm)

they claim they do not keep secondhand glass from shop windows ect and would not even keep me in mind for when they had there next repair of a plate glass shop window.

So I guess it is back to looking around untill I find somthing that will work

Thanking you

Dean

Dean - They are a rip off then, try ringing some more glaziers - even some LFS can cut glass & supply it if you get stuck.

Frenzy - that's an easier patch than a side panel, just get the glass cut to fit the inside dimentions of the sides (it won't need to be anywhere near as wide for the smaller tank) & follow Colfish's repair instructions, cept you won't have to lay it over of course being on the bottom.

Dean - They are a rip off then, try ringing some more glaziers - even some LFS can cut glass & supply it if you get stuck.

Frenzy - that's an easier patch than a side panel, just get the glass cut to fit the inside dimentions of the sides (it won't need to be anywhere near as wide for the smaller tank) & follow Colfish's repair instructions, cept you won't have to lay it over of course being on the bottom.

Ive just repaired my sump that had a crack going right the way threw the bottom.

I ran siliconed inside the tank along the crack then ran silicon on the base around the perimeter and ran sum lines of silicon on the base put the glass on and pushed together and it worked like a charm. :thumbup:

Now my sump is running ok once again. There u go easy as pie

Hi

found a 9mm glass shelf 12" x 30" , i am going to try to see if it will work , i will cut it down to 12" x 23" to fit under the stringers (lid shelves )

I found it at a 2nd hand shop and got it for nothing !

Will let you know after I try it.

Dean

OK Ash.

I've got some offcuts from old lids that might work. I'll only need 14" to cover from side to side. I'll just make the "patch" as wide as any offcut I have will allow.

Thanks for the reply.

PS. I bought a new tank anyway because I found a bargain at a local lfs. The lfs owner delivered the tank and looked at the tank that cracked. He said it may of been because it wasn't level - not that I'd noticed if it wasn't.

I hope it isn't tempered glass, you want regular float glass

hi Ash

Why and how do I tell ?

Outbackdean

if its tempered you wont be able to cut it

Well I cut it with out any hassel and then silasticed it over the inside crack as above , I will leave it to the weekend and then fill it up and then wait and see.

Lucky it will only be going in my shed as a holding tank so I can clean out the 6 x2x2 in the house as it is over run with breeding princess and J. ornatas

Thanking you all for the great advise

Outbackdean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No it is Zucchini (spelling ?) I cut it into slices and boil it in the microwave for about 10 to 15 min. untill it sinks the catfish and the Tangs seem to love it, it has always brought them into breeding condition for me with some bloodworm and brineshrimp .

Now just what to do with all of these Princess ?

Outbackdean

Archived