Duboisi holding for an extended period

Moliro

Curious if anyone else has had a female Duboisi holding for way over 4 weeks. It's the first time she has spawned and it's been around 38-39 days with a mouthful. Still exhibiting the normal fry tumbling behavior and small amounts of feeding. I put her in a 15 gallon (yeah it's a little small) about 2 weeks ago with a good amount of rockwork, java fern and java moss. Don't really want to strip her, but maybe it's just me being impatient lol. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would say since it is her first time let her go but make sure she is taking some food when you feed her.

She is probably releasing the fry when you are not in the room.

Eventually she will release them all out and you can introduce her back to the colony but make sure when you put her back in that she doesnt get beaten up because she has been away from the colony for so long.

Just keep an eye out and i am sure that you will be fine.

If she is getting beaten up then you may have to change some things around in the tank so the fish feel as though they are in a new environment and establish a new heirachy.

She is probably releasing the fry when you are not in the room.

this is a very normal reaction from a defensive female.

i had 1 that would gather up the fry every time i went near her tank, she kept this up for a week.

i think the fry got tired of it, they would try to stay way from her. though she did persist in trying to catch them. leave her be, it's facinating to watch their natural instinct of survival

Yeah you guys are right, she's been busted. Left the house for a few days, came back and peeked in to see 2 little ones swimming around. As soon as I was spotted they were right back in her mouth. I guess the reason for her still holding (month and a half) is that she only has two lol

Archived