my new breeding plan. Bettas

C_H

Hey guys i have just started breeding bettas again i had some bad experiences with them breeding before though it was not my falt. The guy at the local pet shop told me to feed the fry live barers fry food and that went horribly wrong with 100% of all of the fry dead but i have since been in to another local fish shop not petshop and the guy there gave me great advice for all my fish and he told me to feed the baby brine shrimp by hatching them i have done this before with my convicts.

I have a male crown tail he's all mettalic blue with black head hes in a 1.5 foot planted tankand i plan on getting him a crowntail female. will update when i get the female.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really beautiful looking fish!

I think I must be the luckiest person in Oz. On my youngest son's 7th birthday on Mar 2 this year, we bought a 50 litre fish tank and some goldfish (this is the first experience anyone in the family has had with keeping fish). A week later they wanted more fish, so we went to the LFS and the 8 year old liked the look of a veil tail fighter, and the youngest liked a small female. We took them home and about 3 weeks ago the female's belly swelled up.

We did some internet research and discovered she was getting ready for breeding. So following some info, we bought another small (maybe 15-20 litre) tank and heater and put them together. After numerous false starts (on my part only), yesterday afternoon she spawned and the male seems to be doing the right thing so far. I'm hoping tomorrow some of them may begin hatching but, if nothing else, it has been an amazing learning experience for us and the kids.

I now wish the eldest had been more discriminating in his choice of males :yes:

Cheers

• 2 years later...

You may find BBS may still be too large for the fry on the first few days. Betta fry grow very fast and will be able to eat BBS after 3 or 4 days.We use to feed ours paramecium for the first few days.

Have a look at Fishchicks youtube site for some inspiration

fishchick

We've bred many betta over the years and its always interesting to see what colours you get out. Even took some of the betta we bred over to Singapore and entered them into Aquarama.

Good luck with you breeding

T

Congrats for getting into fish, although it sounds as if you may have a case of the incurable MTS (multiple tank syndrome) :clap also fantastic that you are doing it together with your family. Your male looks great.

Thanks to bettamuse for the link there are some amazing fish there - amazing betta this one is my fav

Cheers

James

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

aceforumsATlive.com

You may find BBS may still be too large for the fry on the first few days. Betta fry grow very fast and will be able to eat BBS after 3 or 4 days.We use to feed ours paramecium for the first few days.

Have a look at Fishchicks youtube site for some inspiration

fishchick

We've bred many betta over the years and its always interesting to see what colours you get out. Even took some of the betta we bred over to Singapore and entered them into Aquarama.

Good luck with you breeding

T

wow bettamuse! i love the fish culture in singapore, how was showing off your bettas in singapore? thailand is producing plenty of awesome new strains as well. my dad and uncles back in their day, in cambodia, used to breed bettas both for show and uh...gambling, i showed them all these new strains and it nearly blew them away haha

Archived