tropheus eggs covered in a clear coating?

adam1

Hi Tropheus lovers, i have stripped a bemba last week and but the eggs in to a net with a aerator under the net. the eggs move about well. But out of fourteen eggs only four have come good. The other ten have this clear (looks like fungus) coating covering the out side the other four you can see the fry developing.

What do you think, is it that those ten havent been fertilised or am i not doing something i should??

HELP :blink

Thankyou adam

Hi Tropheus lovers, i have stripped a bemba last week and but the eggs in to a net with a aerator under the net. the eggs move about well. But out of fourteen eggs only four have come good. The other ten have this clear (looks like fungus) coating covering the out side the other four you can see the fry developing.

What do you think, is it that those ten havent been fertilised or am i not doing something i should??

HELP :blink

Thankyou adam

Hi Adam,

A number of factors really.

The eggs may have not fertilised as you rightly point out - this could be due to an immature pair (both egg and milt) and may occur quite a few times.

Your tumbling may not have been successful - I personally have little luck with the method you mention or any homemade tumbler with Tropheus - the eggs being large and heavy. The Jehmco ones work a treat for us :) with 100% success rate.

It could be water quality as well.

Hopefully you have since removed the fungus covered ones to allow the heads and tails to thrive.

Congrats on the handful - better than none :thumbup:

Archived