Growth tank for calvus

newcichlid

Hi All

Just getting ready to transfer my calvus frys into a growth tank from the frysaver.

I was wondering if the setup is the same except no substrate. ie. corner filters and heater.

The tank is a 2fter. Also, how long do i keep the frys in the frysaver before moving them to the growth tank. I have approx 60+ frys in there.

Thank you

Cheers

Eric

Hi Eric,

You have the right idea there, 2 foot tank, no substrate. What do you mean by corner filter? Is this air driven? Do frequent water changes, few times a week just a small %, try to age the water. Alto fry are very susceptible to chlorine and I have lost a few even when adding prime to tap water.

I usually move altos to a larger tank when they are about 1cm, 60 fry in a 2 foot should be fine for a few months.

HTH

Grant

Hi All

Just getting ready to transfer my calvus frys into a growth tank from the frysaver.

I was wondering if the setup is the same except no substrate. ie. corner filters and heater.

The tank is a 2fter. Also, how long do i keep the frys in the frysaver before moving them to the growth tank. I have approx 60+ frys in there.

Thank you

Cheers

Eric

Hi Eric,

You have the right idea there, 2 foot tank, no substrate. What do you mean by corner filter? Is this air driven? Do frequent water changes, few times a week just a small %, try to age the water. Alto fry are very susceptible to chlorine and I have lost a few even when adding prime to tap water.

I usually move altos to a larger tank when they are about 1cm, 60 fry in a 2 foot should be fine for a few months.

HTH

Grant

Yes, corner filter is air driven. I have a resun LP40 running my middle drop filter and all my airstones for 2 4ft tanks.

I have lost 15frys already. I do water change directly from the tap while adding water ager at the same time. Maybe that is why they are dying.

I used to do water change by the bucket and have to carry 16buckets each time. Took too long so decided direct from the tap.

Hi Eric,

The 2 foot is small in water quantity so you could pickup a large bucket or small barrel and age your water in that just for the alto fry. All you need to do is put an airstone in there for two days, then add some Prime or Safe etc before a water change.

I would say this is why you are losing them, what are you feeding them?

Grant

Hi Eric,

The 2 foot is small in water quantity so you could pickup a large bucket or small barrel and age your water in that just for the alto fry. All you need to do is put an airstone in there for two days, then add some Prime or Safe etc before a water change.

I would say this is why you are losing them, what are you feeding them?

Grant

You are right Grant, the tank is small enough for buckets. I am feeding them frozen bbs. What sort of heater would I need for the tank..150w enough or smaller?

I had my first batch of 60+ frys from female 1 (this was her second and successful try), then a week later second batch of 20+frys from female 2 (this was her first try). I tipped the shell out into the frysaver 4 days earlier than anticipated because i saw frys swimming out of the shell. Her frys started out on their sides in the frysaver and they are the ones that are dying. The first batch are all doing well.

COuld it be that the frys are dying due to first try and all?

Cheers

Eric

Most likely the fry from the 2nd batch are weaker and therefore more susceptible to water quality issues. You might also have better initial success and growth rates if you feed live bbs rather than frozen. I doubt if frozen have the same nutritional benefit. For heating i work on a minimum of 1w per litre. 150w would be more than adequate for a 2ft tank. I have a 150w on my standard 3ft’er.

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Eric,

I wouldn't say the batch are dying as it is the first attempt.

Hard to say why really, maybe you were too rough on them trying to get them out of the shell :dntknw: part of the mysteries of fish keeping.

I usually collect alto fry well before they are free swimming as it is very hard to catch them once they are free swimming and they tend to hide in the lip of the barnacle etc.

Also oakes raises a good point, try newly hatched brine shrimp, they love it and it is easy. Once they get a bit bigger try crushed NLS.

HTH

Grant

Hey,

Yeah, I hatch mine myself.

You need a soft drink bottle - 1.25L, cut off the base. With the lid on, drill a small hole in the lid for a air-line joiner to be lodged in. You then need an airline with a tap to add onto the air-line joiner. Silicone if required.

To propogate, invert the bottle - add water, add an amount of artemia cysts (can get these from AOA, amount depends on number of fish to feed, if only 60 fish then 1/2 a teaspoon is plenty) and two heaped tablespoons of table salt (per ~ 1 L of water). Connect to the airpump, you want a gentle rolling bubble. Wait 24-36 hours. Disconnect from the airpump, wait 30 mins. This will separate the newly hatched from the cysts. The newly hatched fall to the bottom, the cysts float to the top.

Pour off the excess water and cysts - what is left is the newly hatched. Transfer to a separate container, put in the fridge to keep alive and fresh. They will last 4-5 days in the fridge.

Feed as necessary/required.

HTH

Grant

Hi Eric,

I think one is okay.Having said that two is always better than 1 when it comes to filters. Since you are running 1 big air pump the only cost is an extra cheap spounge filter. So I'd say why not.

cheers

Grant

Archived