pseudotropheus acei "tanzania"

widdupm

hey everyone,

i was just wondering if the strand of acei with the black body and the yellow tail was the "tanzania?" and if so i have heard that they have not been found in the lake, and are maybe crossbreeds? ha i am quite new to the hobby and love the look of these fish! would they be compatible with electric yellows in a standard 4 foot tank?

ha few qestions i know,

many thanks

mike

hey everyone,

i was just wondering if the strand of acei with the black body and the yellow tail was the "tanzania?" and if so i have heard that they have not been found in the lake, and are maybe crossbreeds? ha i am quite new to the hobby and love the look of these fish! would they be compatible with electric yellows in a standard 4 foot tank?

ha few qestions i know,

many thanks

mike

Hi Mike,

You need to read some of Ad Konings books instead of listening to people who have never dived in the lake and observed the fish in their natural environment. Ps acei is not a crossbreed, and there are 3 geographic variants of Ps acei available in Australia : (i) "Tanzania", which has a black body & yellow fins (ii) "Ngara", which has a black body and white fins and (ii) "Msuli Point", which has a pale blue body and yellow fins. These 3 variants are the same fish found at different locations and will interbreed with each other. All of the acei variants will make good tankmates for electric yellows.

Cheers, Doug

Hi Mike

As Doug stated, 1's own investigations should be made. :thumb

A very nice fish specimen the Ps. Acei is not matter what varient.

They will go well with your EY's. A good array of rock formation should be structured in smaller tanks.

Regards Symphy ;)

Actually reading some of Ad's Books He doesnt state he has found these Acei

anywhere in the lake

He talks about finding the 2 Msuli Pt and Ngara

In hs new book he says he has found a similiar fish G.Moori that has darker BlueGrey body with Yellow fins

Though he doesnt state this to be a species of Ps Acei

The true origins of this I am not sure of right at this moment

Maybe I should have asked Ad last week when I had a good chat with him

Also cichlid forum dont list it as a species either

Brad

• 3 months later...

im confused about these fish as well,im trying to sort mine out at the moment,the net pics are all so different but photos often dont have the right name for them.if doug's right and theres only 3 species in oz then it should be easy to differentiate species.

Hi Mike,

You need to read some of Ad Konings books instead of listening to people who have never dived in the lake and observed the fish in their natural environment. Ps acei is not a crossbreed, and there are 3 geographic variants of Ps acei available in Australia : (i) "Tanzania", which has a black body & yellow fins (ii) "Ngara", which has a black body and white fins and (ii) "Msuli Point", which has a pale blue body and yellow fins. These 3 variants are the same fish found at different locations and will interbreed with each other. All of the acei variants will make good tankmates for electric yellows.

Cheers, Doug

What's your source? As far as I am aware, to date there have not been any reported sightings of the fish in the lake leading to speculations that the fish may be line-bred or cross-bred.

Actually reading some of Ad's Books He doesnt state he has found these Acei

anywhere in the lake

He talks about finding the 2 Msuli Pt and Ngara

In hs new book he says he has found a similiar fish G.Moori that has darker BlueGrey body with Yellow fins

Though he doesnt state this to be a species of Ps Acei

The true origins of this I am not sure of right at this moment

Maybe I should have asked Ad last week when I had a good chat with him

Also cichlid forum dont list it as a species either

Brad

Hi Brad,

I'm pretty sure Ad Konings mentions the Tanzania variant in his DVD doco "Diving Lake Malawi". I remember him discussing the how Acei graze on the algae covering fallen tree logs and shows the massive schools they form. I'm sure he then briefly shows footage of a large school of the Tanzania variant, commenting on this different colour morph found off the Tanzanian shoreline, before moving onto discussion about some other species.

Too late in the evening for me to put it on now and check this - anyone else have this doco also and want to co-confirm with me? I could be wrong.

• 2 months later...

Hey Mike,

I have 4 aceii which mix well with with my electric yellows and all the other african cichlids I have in my 4ft tank. THey seem to be quite a peaceful breed but can stand there own. I am keen to breed them. Has anyone else tried to breed them?

Cheers,

Tootie

hey everyone,

ha few qestions i know,

many thanks

mike

Hi Mike,

Cheers, Doug

Hi Doug

you are right have been keeping and breeding "Ngara" they have white fins clearly identified in konings latest edition w pic on pge 248 would ask others not to cross w "Msuli Point" also on same pge.

cheers

Archived