Substrate: Absence of (002)

I want to know why many people have their breeding tanks with no substrate. I know it is easier to clean but does it make any difference in how often the fish breed. Are there any other advantages to having no substrate?. What about disadvantages?

advantage: No1 would have to be the ease of cleaning the tank ,no gravel clean so you would just need to syphon up the dirt on the bottom of the tank which basically enables you to keep a very clean tank

disadvantage :# its not a natural environment to breed in

# fish like the N.ocelatus need the substrate to bury their shells

# some fish dont show their best colour in a bare tank

# cichlids like the american eartheaters and tanganikan sandsifters need the substrate as they are constantly sifting for food or building nests in the sand for spawning

I keep some fish (mainly fry) in bare tanks, with maybe a small scattering of sand sometimes.

If you are planning on having a bare tank, or in fact all tanks should have this anyway: Spray paint the polystyrene beforehand.

I lightly spray the polystyrene with either black, green or brown paint (or a combo). I've found that fish who are above a dark bottom respond much better than those above a stark white surface.

Even if you have a small amount of substrate, invariable the fish will move it around and uncover parts of the tank, so a dark colour underneath is still a good option.

Archived