Something that may help us all.

chevguy

[For those who are interested: I added 3 tablespoons of Epsom salts (for 15 litres of water) day 1, 2 day 2, 2 day 3 (small water change to remove old uneaten food), and 1 day 4 then she started showing signs of improvement so I stopped adding salts. I moved her back into the colony after 12 days of isolation with her being fine and eating well for 5 days.

chees

rosco

Well done Rosco :thumbup:

Makes for very interesting reading. Thanks to chevguy for going that extra yard.

Does anybody believe that a UV sterilser could be of assistance against parasites of this size?

I have never used one but have considered it for ages. I know you need different flow rates for algae ,parasites etc. My reason for using one would be mainly as a disease prevention. In fact this article has started me researching all over again. :confused:

Martin

Does anybody believe that a UV sterilser could be of assistance against parasites of this size?

I have never used uv's on any tanks but did buy a uv for the tank that the tropheus were in just as another preventative measure,it obviously did squat,whether or not it wasn't running long enough or what i'm not sure but all i know is that over $2k of tropheus and dither species are gone, :cryblow: all survivors(which was f#@k all) have been culled and tanks sterilised and recycling again now.

These fish came to me with the problem which says a lot about the conditions and quality of fish that come from certain sources. Stay tuned for more about this soon. :shock::zipit:

Or for a short answer- :no:

Thanks for that info chevguy. Makes you wonder about some of the advertising for certain equipment and "fish medications".

As for the quality of fish and the conditions they come from,,,no comment. It has to be the scariest part of the hobby and as has happened to you, unfortunately, the most expensive!!

Can't say much more except that I do get b____y angry when I hear of such things.

Advanced stages and secondary bacterial infections from Cryptobia, Hexamita, and Spironucleas also attack healthy organs including Kidney bladder and liver

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Chevguy for that report and for going the extra mile. It was definitely informative reading.

I wonder if a diet which includes immuno-stimulants can help to prevent such cases?

Cheers,

Vien.

Archived