Glofish (daily telegraph)

midnightexpress

Has anyone read the paper today?They are genetically engineered and bred by a uni in singapore and the rights have been sold to the usa were they will be sold fo $5 each.(here we go again,money,money ,money)

the good news is they have been put on the prohibited list in oz,lets hope it stays there.

adnan

:p

yeah my grandfather gave me the page from his paper when i was visiting him in hospital today. i had a read.

I think its dreadful what they are doing to the fish to make $. I agree and am glad they have been added to the prohibited list.

I seen a flowerhorns for the first time today in a LFS. Be good if they were added too.

yeah some guy on the train had his newspaper opened at the page. I tried to sneak a peak but he saw I was looking and changed pages LOL.

I'm reading it now. Very interesting. Everything seems to be genetically modified these days. Do these fish even resemble any existing species? It just says the gene were derived from sea coral and jellyfish.

As long as they are used for the purpose they were created, (detecting pollutants) i don't have a prob with 'em. But they weren't bred as pets, so they shouldn't be kept as them.

I find it a bit laughable they suggest that because they are tropical fish they don't pose an eccological risk.

While I certainly don't like this concept of GM technology as a gimmick, I reckon this is still a whole lot better than those poor dye injected fish - they don't have long to live : (

Be nice if people could just learn to appreciate nature for what it is - we have sooooo many amazing, beautiful creatures around I don't understand how people can become bored of what's available and see the need to "improve".

Cheers,

Jess

Something i've been thinking about........

If they are designed to glow when there are pollutants present in the water, what would they look like in an aquarium with nice clean water free of pollutants ??

Matt

Hey All,

Well the GMO topic has sprouted again, and its time for me to give my 2 cents. I dont mind GMO's, i think there should be strict controls on what is and isnt modified, but personally i have no issues at all with glowing fish. They can make glowing green mice as well, they look pretty cool. So if these are bought into Australia, i have no issues for them being sold as aquarium fish. Not my thing personally, not really into glowing fish, but others will like them so i say let them have them.

Gutty, i think the fish would have been modified further so they glow constantly and not only in polluted water

Grungie

I think they actually fluoresce under UV lights.

Would the chemicals used to maintain water chemistry be considered 'pollutants'. I only ask this seemingly stupid question, because rarely are pure nutrients added to a fish tank, most are added as compounds. Not to mention the number of meds that contain heavy metals!

How 'pure' is the water in our tanks. Personally i think it's a bit of a cocktail.

Archived