Jebao and/or Aqua Nova cannisters

Cathyl

Gday, am after a new cannister for a standard 4 footer and have seen these Jebao and Aqua Nova cannisters around, ranging from 1000 to 1500 litre per hour. My question is: are either of these any good or is one better than the other? Your thoughts and experiences with these would be most helpful, as I have been out of the hobby for a while and have had no dealings with these. Thanks. Kevin

Gday, am after a new cannister for a standard 4 footer and have seen these Jebao and Aqua Nova cannisters around, ranging from 1000 to 1500 litre per hour. My question is: are either of these any good or is one better than the other? Your thoughts and experiences with these would be most helpful, as I have been out of the hobby for a while and have had no dealings with these. Thanks. Kevin

I've been using the Aqua Nova 1500lph canisters for a couple of years, and they haven't missed a beat. I got mine for $99 with all filter sponges and media consisting of noodles from Age of Aquariums (Sponsor - top left). They are fairly easy to prime and start, and don't make a lot of noise.

hth

shane

Hi welcome back to the wonderful world of fish keeping.I currently have 3 Jebao 1200lph cannister filters with 4 stage filtration & no problems at all.I think pretty much either brand you choose will give you a long time of service if maintained as recommended.cheers

Tomi.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a sacem cannister....I would never ever buy another one.

Personally I only use Eheim and Fluval cannisters for the sound levels as my tanks are in the house and close to bedrooms. I have heard a few reports of the cheaper canisters leaking from unusual spots, and the

aquanova inlets/outlets on the top of the cannister worry me a little with the way they seal and rotate. The plastic is also a little more brittle/weaker than other models. As with anything, you get what you pay for. If a cheaper slightly noiser cannister suits your needs, then there is difinatly no point in paying almost double for a Fluval or tripple -> quadruple for an Eheim.

Eheim are hands down the best cannister you can buy. Dollar for dollar, mechanical reliability, pump noise and design are always far far better than the competitorsm, but they are so damn expensive.

I agree about the quality canisters on the market - can't be beaten for longevity.

I still have three Aqua Nova running politely after I guess three years. No leaks or breakages - touch wood. Cinch to install and prime out of the box, easy to prime when warranted in cleaning. The lack of quality media soon added extra $$$ to the buy price. However, am reasonably happy with the performance, even of the fit and finish isn't up to the standards of the Eheim.

I had some other ones which were an order of magnitude cheaper but they only lasted about two years before impeller failure among others. The design of the impeller meant having to Dremel the old one off in order to fit the new one. The impeller shaft design was pretty poor. Lots of detritus built up around it, lower the shaft speed. The ceramic from which the shaft was made was of poor and brittle quality, so managed to snap a couple of those (out of six). Fortunately I had some short stainless steel pins that I jury-rigged as a working impeller shaft.

HTH.

Cheers - Ozi.

I have used aqua nova, via aqua and aqua ones in the past, and recently splurged on a Fluval 305! My first ever!

And never again!

It is noisier and more fidly than any of the cheap cannisters. Touchy and inconvenient. Too many places that look like they are going to give me strife, like the tap connection, etc.

I wont spend those rediculous amounts of money on a cannister filter again, when the cheapies have always been so reliable and quiet!

Gotta agree with you, Limegirl, about Fluval. The one thing that I have found about their products, especially when I was a n00b, is that they're excellent at making your wallet lighter. They do work well and keep working but are very costly.

That said, I have a powerhead from a reverse UGF setup from the late 90s which is still powering on nicely. It hasn't even needed a shaft or impeller replacement in all that time. Maybe later models were made to lesser standards.

Cheers - Ozi.

• 4 weeks later...

i have to say,i have a fluval 305 myself and its been the best thing i;ve bought,i love it and its super quiet you cant even tell its working unless you touch the unit and feel vibration.the water is super clear and clean.i would definately recommend it.it should not be noisy at all if its working properly.

:lol1:

i have to say,i have a fluval 305 myself and its been the best thing i;ve bought,i love it and its super quiet you cant even tell its working unless you touch the unit and feel vibration.the water is super clear and clean.i would definately recommend it.it should not be noisy at all if its working properly.

:lol1:

I took it back a couple of times and me mate at the lfs was able to get it working quietly by running it with the outlet lower than the canister for 15 or so minutes, and then lifting it up. Unfortunately I do not have a recepticle big enough to conveniently take 15 minutes worth of water, and it pumps an awful lot of water! So I am stuck with it!

I have both a Jebeo 1200 L/hr and Aqua nova 1500 L/hr canister filters working of different tanks in different rooms and both are really quiet with the air pumps on each tank being louder than the filter. I have found both equally easy to clean and maintain and can not see myself spending significantly more money on a different/supposedly more reputable brand.

Cheers

Haycait

Archived