what are labyrinth fish?

robdog013

They are fish such as gouramis and fighters

They have an organ called a labrynth wich they use to breathe atmospheric air.

Thats why you see these fish come to the surface and breath as they have the labrynth which allows them to.

• 1 month later...

thanks john u are a wealth of knowledge :thumbup:

Ya when they sorta headbutt the surface thats a breath.

Things like fighters need to do it, and pays to give them some plants to rest near surface at night time so don't have to swim from bottom for each breath.

The labyrinth can also effect what medications you use, there is currently a fair amount of chatter about melafix being deadly to them altho I have never had a problem. I say never had a problem but then again I have kept betta for a while now and bred/killed my fair share of them! But ya no definite occassion comes to mind.

• 10 months later...

Things like fighters need to do it, and pays to give them some plants to rest near surface at night time so don't have to swim from bottom for each breath.

The labyrinth can also effect what medications you use, there is currently a fair amount of chatter about melafix being deadly to them altho I have never had a problem. I say never had a problem but then again I have kept betta for a while now and bred/killed my fair share of them! But ya no definite occassion comes to mind.

So can these labrinth fish live with cichlids and trops etc?

• 11 months later...

Not to good with cichlids but perfectly ok with tropicals. They are mostly top water dwellers. So great for keeping with middle and bottom dwellers.

So can these labrinth fish live with cichlids and trops etc?

Archived