Geophagus rio tapajos

Mbuna

Hi all, I recently purchased 4 juvi Geophagus sp. Rio Tapajos from a local lfs (its amazing what pops up in the lfs up here sometimes :dntknw: ). They are amazing to watch sifting sand and flaring at each other :wub

my question is,what could they have as tank mates?- not sure on the eventual tank size at the moment, but was thinking along the lines of a dwarf species of some sort such as cacatoides and maybe some corydoras and some tetras. From what i have read it would have to be a larger type of tetra to avoid ending up as food. The bristlenoses i already have but may also get some whiptails like cuong had in his geo tank.

I would like to keep it as much 'biotope'as possible but am reatively new to the whole South Amerian scene (apart from breeding a few of the dwarf species a few years ago) so im not really up on species

localities.

sooo... if anyone can give me any suggestions, itwould be greatly appreciated so i can start planning the new tank.

cheers

Harry

depending on the size of your tank and if u can get them there geo altifron I/II. not sure on tetras at that location but im priddy sure L134 is from the same part. also bay recently had some corries from that location

G'day Mbuna,

Nice pick up.

I've done a similar biotope theme for my G. araguaia 'orange head'. Two sites I found hugely helpfull are:

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm

http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

The two sites are linked when you search through mongabay's specific river ecosystems. If you click on a particular fish species, it'll take you to fishbase's species profiles. If you then scroll down to the bottom of a page, you'll find a link to click on called Ocurrances. Here you can find where a particular fish has been recorded to be found.

Or you can go to fish base, enter the scientific name and follow the links to occurances.

For example apistogramma agassizii has been recorded in the Rio Tapajos at 13 seperate localities.

I almost jumped out of my seat when they also had a recorded occurance in the Rio Tocantins as well.

http://www.fishbase.org/museum/Occurrences...ecies=agassizii

Here's a current stock list of my 72inch x 21inch x 26inch tank. I cheated with the Laetacara curviceps as they are found in the Rio Tapajos (coincidence heh), but I wanted a smaller cichlid that wouldn't eat my tetras.

6 Geophagus araguaia sp."orange head"

4 Laetacara curviceps - Dwarf Flag cichlid

15 Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis - Lemon tetra

12 Thayeria boehlkei - Blackline penguin fish

5 Corydoras julii

3 Otocinclus sp.

2 L110 Ancistrus

1 Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus

I would be cautious in introducing tetras that are less than 3cm in size. I added a bunch of 10 at the 2-2.5cm size and they were lunch for my 5x Tapajos. Only 1 left!!

3cm or more tetras i.e. Lemon tetra size at least!

Ive kept a whole range of cories with them and BN's and the usual fair. A mate of mine has kept Apistos with Geos before and have had no problems i.e. rams, range of apistos. I know this is not the biotope you were asking for, but hope it helps anyway.

cheers

bernie

G'day Mbuna,

Pic of my setup so far. I'm still adding to the rescape. Probably one ore two more pieces of driftwood for the open area to provide alternate spawning sites. I've also added a few saucer sized rocks scattered around for spawning platforms.

I highly recommend buying Thomas Weidners' South American Eartheaters . It's a bit expensive, but will give a decent description of their habitat, as well as a good general read for those into eartheaters.

My tank

IPB Image

Archived