Which Rainbowfish?

limegirl

I have just finished setting up a four foot standard, and want to have some rainbows.

Which ones would you guys recommend? I am having so much trouble choosing!

I have McCulloch's in a planted two foot and Trifasciata and Glosso Incipis in another four footer. I have had Parkonsoni and Splendida australis in the past.

Open to suggestions - even if they are just your personal favourite!

I have to agree with oakes but you need to make sure any lacustrus are good quality as poor ones look ordinary. (Auburn has had some nice ones)

I have:

Melanotaenia splendida splendida (Wallaby Creek)

M. boesmani

M. lacustrus

in my planted tank and think they are brilliant in a planted community tank

Hey Markey! No, they aren't yours. A few years have passed since I got those off you!

I am ordering some threadfins and seriously considering the lucustris.

Decision is hard because I am a bit of a purist so only want one mela sp and one glosso sp in a tank to prevent cross breeding.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just got some M. nigrans which are cool - a lot more colour than seen in the pics, particularly the males but the females aren't bad either, and they're very zippy little fellas - all over the tank! (have them in a std 4 ft).

I'm also getting some M. splendida tatei, threadfins and M. pygmaea shortly.

Lime girl, desert gobies were available through a LFS just before Christmas, I'm hoping to pick some up soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I got some australis last week, they're starting to colour up. And some more nigrans. I've found that both of these species are 'zippier' than my others (boesemani, praecox, doubolayi) - certainly make the tanks look busy! :)

Archived