swim bladder problem

petshopdude

• 2 months later...

Most often when I've seen it, it has been related to early care and feeding. It can be genetic, but IME that wouldn't knock out an entire spawn from seemingly unaffected parents You might get one or two, but they'd probably show other signs too. That is not to say it couldn't happen that a genetic fault affects the swim bladder of an entire spawn, just that it is less likely than environmental factors.

I think a more likely cause would be something like prolonged overfeeding or bad nutrition while the body is growing and the swimbladder is forming. Depending on when this happens and what the cause is, you can end up with a bunch of floaters or a bunch of belly sliders.

try avoiding microworms, or only using them for a week or two, and not overdoing the BBS.

It is tricky to get right. It isn't uncommon to have these problems, especially in the first few spawns. Most of the time they rectify themselves, but sometimes they don't. If you know it isn't a genetic cause (read: you know where the problem started and can directly relate it to an outside action) then most floaters and belly sliders can breed on to produce normal offspring. I say most because although genetically sound, some just can't physically go through spawning, it takes a lot more effort for them to stay in the game. It isn't ideal to ask these fish to spawn but if it means preserving a line then so be it.

I'd say it is about equal, but females do have the added complication of eggs. If there is something wrong in there, when the fish fills with eggs, it can accentuate an existing issue.

Hope that helps :)

Archived