P.Elongatus Mpanga-Male or Female?

KIMO

Can you help with the sex of my Mpanga. To the right of my Red top Zebra.

Is it a female or a sub dominant male not showing full colours. I've had it a week a no colour change thus far.

Thanks for any assistance,

KimO

IPB Image

It looks to hard to tell.I got a females that i thought was a sub dominant male and a few weeks ago it had a mouthfull.What i'll do is take the dominant one out or put it in a fry saver for a few hrs and watch to see if his colour changes to more of a dominant male if not you got yourself a female.Unless you wait for it to have a mouthfull.

hth

Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering whether your females have the yellow in the tailfin and do they have eggspots??? Are they also a blue colour or a dull black shade?

KimO.

My females have yelllow on their tailfin but haven't payed much attention if they have eggspots or not.

They can display to a blue colour or a dull black shade with light bars but imo it depends on their rank in the tank as my smalliest one shows sign of a dull black/grey.

My Female that i thought was a male shows signs of a sub dominant male but reason why i think this is she is the second biggiest in my colony.

Try and google some pics of a female mpangas :)

Archived