R/O water conditioning/additives

CQD

The R/O unit i have , you can tell it what TDS to mix of R/O and normal filtered water. Therefore there is no need for chemical condtioners and no need to add trace elements back, because they are not enitrely removed, unless you choose to make the TDS 0.

HTH

Mike.

Hi,

We've got a 6x2x2 with 100x50x40xm sump ==> ~900L.

Not using RO, but use Sydney tapwater.

We change about 200L per week, with the following additives:

+ Seachem Prime ........... 25ml

+ Seachem SA Trace ........ 50ml

+ Seachem SA Salt ......... 50ml

The pH was a little high (7.6) initially, but we used

+ Seachem SA Buffer 4.5 ... 100ml

+ Seachem SA Buffer 7.0 ... 10ml

to get it down to 6.4-6.6

Our KH readings are nice and low (< 3dH), but the GH is still a little on the high side (> 7dH).

Still considering whether RO is the way to go to address this.

The fish are thriving:

+ 6x Geophagus cf. altifrons "Aripuana II"

+ 6x Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head" and

+ 6x Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps

Cheers,

My general rule of thumb for soft water fish....

50% ro/rainwater + 50% (Brisbane)aged tap water.....

I've used kepatang extract with wild bettas with Great success + aquasonic basic/daily grow for planted tanks as per manufacturer's recommendations.

Seachem Prime ........... 25ml

:blink doesnt 5ml treat 200L?

I know its safe to double dose, but thats really only to neutralise Amonia in emergencies.

Hey huzzy,

I'm not sure where I got the idea from (but pretty sure it was one of this forum's admins), but I seem to recall being told that when it comes to dechlorinators, aways dose for the full tank volume, not just the water change. I didn't apply the rule when I treated the water before adding it, but that doesn't happen very often now.

Well if everything is thriving its obvious that it doesnt do any harm. I wouldnt be so concerned with over dosing Prime, as its a premium product and its obviously fish safe, but some of the cheaper stuff I wouldnt like to overdose, all those chemicles in there.

Quote from Seachem website:

DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL). This removes approximately 0.8 mg/L ammonia, 1.2 mg/L chloramine, or 3.3 mg/L chlorine. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

I've highlighted in bold the bit that "justifies" my overspenddose.

Having said that, it does say "new water" at the beginning.

Might need to adjust my thinking. :dntknw::confused::dntknw:

I think you are reading it correctly, It says if adding Prime to the tank directly then dose the whole tank. Perhaps is just a way of getting people to use more, and therefore buy more? :)

im pretty sure the "dose whole tanks volume" only applies if you are refilling your tank with tap water straight from the hose. if you are using an aging drum which i assume you are, you only need to dose per the drum i.e. 200L use 5ml of prime. in saying that i use 10ml of prime for 200L just for safety.

HTH

Archived