Any tip for breeding?

Storm Boy

I have 4 fat P. maccus, i`m just wondering if anyone out there has had the luck (or skill) of breeding them. I also need to be able to sex them. I know L number males have broader pectoral fin bones than females but any other ideas for me please , I would appreciate them.

I have 4 fat P. maccus, i`m just wondering if anyone out there has had the luck (or skill) of breeding them. I also need to be able to sex them. I know L number males have broader pectoral fin bones than females but any other ideas for me please , I would appreciate them.

hi have not had any spawns but the males look furrier and sit in caves.

good luck peter

• 2 weeks later...

The males are more of a pure cone shape when viewed from above,the females usually have a bulge in the midsection.Odontal growth(hair) around the tail is usually a good way of telling to, as the males when mature enough will be unmistakeable with the amount of hair.Females have little to none.

Sitting in caves isn't a sure way to tell as both sexes do this.

As for breeding,the best way is make sure you have a heap of driftwood in the tank and soft water,if you can get the water to go tannin,even better. All being good and you have all the required needs(as well as male and female)and they are mature enough,it's time to start the wet/dry season cycle.

HTH a little bit and good luck.

Archived