My baby Bristlenose keep dying

lurch82

I have 2 male and 2 female bristlenose that have bred for me twice now in one of my american tanks. The problem is when i pull them out of the tank to transfer them to a grow out tank(when their egg sack is nearly absorbed) they will eat their zucchini well (actually like gutses) for around 1-2 weeks then they die off. When i transfer these fish i actually fill their tank with water from the tank they came from and use an air filter that has been cycled in the tank they came from. i have tried the best i know and i badly need help. Thanks in advance

from what ive heard , baby bristlenose need to stay with there father for awhile and shouldnt be moved to early as they eat the males waist untill they leave the male in search of there own food , it would be much better to put the bristlenose in there own tank and leave the young ones with there father.

Thanks for that as that i will give that a try. If that fails I have been cycling a tank full of plants for two weeks now with some guppies and platies in it with my eventual plan being to put my adult bristlenose in there and just let them go crazy and check it again in like 12 months time to see what i have.

Kittens need to develop their own gut bacteria to enable them to digest their food properly and therefore get the nutrients they need to survive. Leaving them with dad, some driftwood and with little to no water changes in their first few weeks of life will see them grow into big and strong cats :thumbup:

Thank you too. I am definately cahnging the way i deal with my fish especially cats. Patience is the key i believe plus trust dad obviously. I have mainly bred american cichlids and normally dad is the one you dont trust but i am going to change my view with these cats. Thank you and i will post how i go with the next batch

G'day

Keep your water conditions at good levels. ie Great filtration and water changes.

Once you have eggs/fry. slow down the water change. The fry are very fragile until they are around 3cm long.

To keep the bristlies in their current tank place dad and his cave into a fry saver. When the fry hatch just take dad out and the fry will all be safe and sound in the fry saver.

PS. You don't have to buy one of my Fry Savers. you can build your own, look here. (They are just not as pretty :zipit: )

cya Matthew

well on a just made decision to move my colony to another tank to breed and be merry on their own i have found my large males log occupied by another 60 or more babies plus the smaller males log has a bunch of eggs. Talk about quick breeders ( i only have 2 females ). So now they are gunna stay with dad so hopefully i have more success this time. Thanks again to all who gave me advice

well on a just made decision to move my colony to another tank to breed and be merry on their own i have found my large males log occupied by another 60 or more babies plus the smaller males log has a bunch of eggs. Talk about quick breeders ( i only have 2 females ). So now they are gunna stay with dad so hopefully i have more success this time. Thanks again to all who gave me advice

G'day

Just to save you a little grief. Make sure the new kittens cannot be sucked into the filter intake. Stockings or flyscreen mesh or garlic bags work well.

Keep the filtration up and minimise the water changes until they grow.

keep us informed.

cya Matthew

so far so good. there is no chance of them getting sucked into the filters as i am running 4 air powered sponges in the tank. time will tell. hopefully i sort these guys out as i just bought 7 orangespots to try breeding. GOTTA LOVE BRISTLENOSE!!!!

from what ive heard , baby bristlenose need to stay with there father for awhile and shouldnt be moved to early as they eat the males waist untill they leave the male in search of there own food , it would be much better to put the bristlenose in there own tank and leave the young ones with there father.

Yes they need the waste of the parent BN to develop the bacteria in there own bellies so they can digest the foods they eat. I have kept BN fry in a 1 ft tank (floating in the parents tank) with same water they were born in and a bit of BN waste off the floor of the adult BN tank they loved it. And by refreshing the water removing the older waste and replacing it with new i never had any problems.

Also a small piece of Drift wood doesnt hurt covered in algea from the parents tank.

its been nearly two weeks in their own tank and there is babies everywhere plus my big boy has now hatched another batch of babies (i am trying to find more males). So far its all systems go and i have just bought some orangepot so the learning curve will keep going

Archived