Help with plants

electricyellowz

Hi all,

I have had some problems with a few plants in my planted tank. On a couple of the anubis on wood 1 or 2 leaves are turning yellow and they eventully die/break off of the plant. I was wondering how I can fix this problem or if it is just normal.

My second problem is my amazon swords. Every single leaf on every plant is being ruined. :( All of the leaves have gone lacey.

My lfs said it could be from not enough vitamins and minerals and he told me to buy a plant fertilizer called serea florena which I did. I have used it for two weeks using the perscribed dosages every time and nothing has changed.

What can I do.

I will post pics up of the amazon swords soon.

The Tank

Standard 4ft tank

2 1200lph canisters

NO Co2 system as I was told it was not a needed

Double outlet airpump

200 watt heater

2 single reflectors with proper plant grow lights 2mths old tops.

Thick river gravel

Fish

Various types of adult/sub adult bn about 8 all up

A few discus

neon tetras

bollivian butterflies

6 l104

Thanks in advance

Ben

The leaves are lacey like chewed, right? Or are they lacey like pulpy and rotten?

If they are chewed, and it is the Ls, all you can do is substitute with lettuce or peas or something, and hope that appeals more! I just put a new crypt in my tank and my bristlies are eating it. There have always been various crypts in there and they have never touched one! Buggers!

Hi Ben,i am having the same troubble with my anubis leaves turning yellow.

Do u think were giving them to much light.?

As i know they do like low levels of light.?

Plants turning yellow is often a sign of an iron dificiency, but if they are broken they will always turn yellow as they die. They can be quite fragile, and catfish, etc, stomping through them my break the odd leaf. May just be a case of removing the damaged leaves.

I've got a tank full of anubias, the leaves are dark green. However, a new anubias I put in (with dark green leaves) has gone yellow, the rest are fine? :blink Ahh well.. the leaves aren't munched or anything, just lost their colour <_<

Hi guys,

When anubias are grown by the plant growers they are grown emersed ( out of water ) and there is a humid mist system giving moisture to the plants and roots are the only submersed parts of the plants. Now anubias grow best out of water actually and when you give them strong light , co2 they go mad and without being under water they don't get covered with algae!!!! Great news for the growers but not for us! Just prune the crappy leaves off and new ones will come back. I use the basic flourish and it works well.

As for the swords stick a JBL clay ball under each sword ASAP. They feed from their roots and one ball can last upto 12 months. For swords DIY co2 really helps ...as long as you have at least 2 light globes running you will benefit alot from added co2. I'd use a mix of 1/4 teaspoon yeast , 1 cup sugar , 1 teaspoon bicarb soda and 1 tablespoon sustagen ( to feed the yeast ). Give it 2 days before you put it onto the tank as it is cold now and takes a while to get started . I alternate bottles every 10-14 days and write on a post it note when I made the last batch and stick it on the co2 bottle.

This should ease your pain :thumb

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be clear on what Out of Africa was saying, the plants are grown out of the water by the growers and then when you take them home and submerge them they often don't do well as they transition to living underwater. Anubias that are grown underwater from day 1 are usually smaller and more dense which is good for smaller aquariums.

I bought a whole stack of "lattice leaf" swords from my LFS, they basically just gave them to me for next to nothing because of their condition. People say the leaves don't regenerate so I've pruned most of them way back, just a few full leaves left at the bottom. I've also left a few to see if they do actually regenerate or not. The blame for these lattice leaves is usually placed on any catfish that "rasp" like plecos etc, I only use bristle nose catfish so I'll wait and see what effect they have.

Archived