Dividing a Tank

AzFish

Hi,

Went through a few of the old posts regarding this and wanted to re-look at it.

I've got 2 x 3ft tanks. I plan on splitting these in half to get 4, 18" tanks in total ... 2 will be used for my breeding pairs of shellies the other 2 parts for grow out tanks ...

To divide them can I use 2mm acrylic with fly screen towards the top to allow for flow? Or will I need a thicker acyrlic?

Could I just use fly screen as the whole partition? to keep the fry/juvies apart?

Or should I just go to a glazier and get glass cut for them?

Any help/Ideas will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Aaron

I have recently tried to do the same thing and i decided to go with 3mm perspex i drilled a series of holes in each peice.

I needed something removable so i fixed them into place with those suction caps that are attached to a plastic u shape extrusion.

these work well on fish about 6cms and upwards but anything smaller tends to find its way into the next section.

thats my 2 cents worth

good luck.

JD

Personally, I split 4 footers in the centre with a complete top to bottom, side to side, 4mm glass divider, siliconed in with the old selleys.

Then filter each side separately and Hey Presto, two tanks totally separate so no cross contamination.

My 2c I like this method

Hi,

Went through a few of the old posts regarding this and wanted to re-look at it.

I've got 2 x 3ft tanks. I plan on splitting these in half to get 4, 18" tanks in total ... 2 will be used for my breeding pairs of shellies the other 2 parts for grow out tanks ...

any shellie would swim through gutter gaurd, and most fry would go through fly screen mesh.

Thanks Colfish!

I think I will go with the dividing of the one tank only .. Next question is, should I get a hole drilled in each corner for an overflow to a sump system or can I use an internal weir placed in the middle of the tank so both partitions can use it?

Cheers,

Aaron

Archived