Cyprochromis leptosoma mpimbwe video

chorrylan

hiya folks,

I borrowed a friends camera today that happens to have video capture capabilities and captured some footage of my mpimbwe colony (it was too darned cold to walk through the freezing conditions out to my fishroom)

Anyhow, this is my first attempt at taking video footage ever... let alone trying to make it available over the web so be gentle.

There's a 5 megabyte clip here:

http://www.planetchan.com/laurie/pets/fish..._mpimbwe_5m.avi

it's trimmed to 400x304 pixels and divx encoded using a ZJMedia MPEG-4 coded I "think" so I hope it play ok for people.

A longer and higher resolution 10 megabyte clip is here:

http://www.planetchan.com/laurie/pets/fish...mpimbwe_10m.avi

and for the true lepto fanatics the full clip (50 megabytes at 640x400 after divx encoding) is here:

http://www.planetchan.com/laurie/pets/fish...mpimbwe_50m.avi

And for those who prefer happy snaps there's some photos here:

IPB Image

Enjoy...

I will have to wait for DVD :lol4: I hate dial up :angry: . Great shots anyway Laurie, having seen this colony in person I am a little spoilt and photos have trouble highlighting the quality and movement of this colony.

cheers

rosco

Thanks for sharing the video clips.I love the leptosoma varients and everytime i see a pic or see them live make me want to start a colony for myself.

One day :)

How big is your colony? Sex ratio.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing the video clips.I love the leptosoma varients and everytime i see a pic or see them live make me want to start a colony for myself.

One day :)

How big is your colony? Sex ratio.

Cheers!

errmmm this is the point where all those anal retentive types that keep personal diaries on every fish in every tank should look away whiel I admit to having no idea how many are in there....

To count 'em I'd need to catch 'em all or perhaps remove all the rocks and stuff in the tank, take a wide angle photo and try to count from there.

There's "approximately" 30 adults and another 30 youngsters of various sizes and "approximately" a 40:60 ratio of males to females (purely because I remove the occasional non-yellowhead male from time to time and use as a dither fish in some other tank)

• 3 weeks later...

Laurie,

Good to see those fish still going strong. I hope it is the same fish I am thinking it is :)

Adam

hiya Adam,

I didn't notice you'd come back to the fishgeek world. welcome back! :raisehand:

yes your fish, or more precisely their kids and grandkids are represented in that colony and they're doing quite nicely.

I found this brilliant trick to keep them breeding regularly: they're in a display tank in my family room that will switch over to a tropheus tank when they stop being productive and I finally decide it's time for the mpimbwe to move on. I just have to mutter that quietly whilst standing near the tank and all the male mpimbwe's colour up and the females get mouthfuls.:thumbup:

Archived