Trimming Tall Plants

limegirl

I have alot of tall sags and vals in my tanks and I find that they get rediculously long and need a trim ie: they are in two and four foot tanks and form a messy tangle over the water surface. Some straps are upwards of three foot long!

Problem is, if I trim them back to about the height of the water surface algae starts to grow on the 'wound'. Should I be trimming the long straps at the base? Halfway up? Pulling the leaves out? Or getting smaller varieties!?

In my experience it is not a good idea to cut the leaves in half (or thirds). I think you hit the nail on the head with the 'get smaller varieties' call. If you like strappy plants maybe try some Cryptocoryne spp. Some species may be far better suited to your size requirements.

Yep, the crispatula (balansae) do grow pretty large. Mine are probably close to a metre long. There are a number of small ones though, I have some Brown Wendtii (i think) crypts that grow thickly and are no more than 20-30cm tall (at this time) and they spread well in the right conditions.

The wendtii is great in all its various forms (pretty much any crypt that is regular looking is called wendtii in the lfs's in my experience). So it is back to crypts - I have always loved them anyway. Just always felt like I needed a screening plant on the back walls and corners of the tanks. Time for a rethink!

So the val and sag are going ... if anyone lives nearby drop in and you can have it all!!! And there is plenty of it ...

I also had a variegated rush type plant and have seen a few aquatic reeds but they look a little harsh to me. Let me know if you find any new screeners as I have been looking for a new plant to add to the back wall.

Archived