Holiday in Brisbane & bringing fish back to Townsville

Ash

Hey guys,

Thought I'd mention this partially as a "Woooot! look what I got :p " and more importantly as a practical tip for transporting fish over a large distance in a car.

I got four decent quality young female electric yellows to add another bloodline to my colony (might not seem such a big deal, its really hard to get good stock in T'ville) and more importantly (to me at least) four Vieja fenestratus, hopefully two pairs by the colouration/size disparity from within the same spawn. I have NEVER seen Fennies locally so this is a big thing for me, being a bit of a Vieja fan.

All fish made it the whole way, I think it was roughly 730km the first day (once out of Brisbane & onto the HWY) and about 750km from Rocky to T'ville yesterday.

How did I do it? A small 10l esky with a battery driven air pump running an air driven filter. Prime & Stability were dosed daily.

I've been recommending the use of eskys for a while as an alternative to bagging when moving house etc, so I thought it would be worth posting about the success of this method over a longer time scale.

Pros:

* more water so wastes are diluted more

* The temp is more stable both due to the increase of water volume and the insulation of the esky (better than a bucket with lid)

* air driven filter can be cycled in a tank prior the move

Cons:

* higher cost than buckets or bags

* potentially takes up more space

Oh, they are obviously food grade plastic & there's no need for a liner, but if you're worried about it use one. No point risking your fish hey, but I've never used one ;)

I'll post pics of the fish later today, all settling in well & eating NLS in my q'tine tank. No signs of whitespot or anything else bad touch wood.

Cheers

Ash

What's the LFS down there like? We've mostly got goldfish sellers up here.

Examples of what I brought back...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hi Ash,

Glad to hear you and the fish made it back ok :)

I don't know how you guys manage to drive so far, I've had enough of the car just doing the run from the Gold Coast up to Brisbane.

Out of interest, where did you manage to track down the female yellows?

Cheers, Doug

They were from Annerley - the bloke there said he had two bloodlines in stock, one was yours so I took the other.

I was there on hols, I've shipped fish before & it would have cost probably $300 less (if I had paid for fuel that is ;) )

I flew down & stayed with an old friend & came back in the car with another mate who was moving back up to Townsville so the fuel was free - I simply took the opportunity to grab the fish while I was there

Archived