Tankmates for Callochromis pleurospilus

AzFish

Hi,

I've got a small group of these (2m + 3F) about to into a standard 6fter in a week or so .. What else could I add to this tank? i've got a couple of Lamprologus speciosus I could add, recommended or not?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers,

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I think in a 6 foot this would be okay. The male pleuros don't tend to stick to one nesting site, but if the shellies are big enough will ward off any uninvited attention. You may also find that you can only have one dominant pleuro male, even in a tank that size. With the pleuros there is a lot of conspecific aggression and only at times is this aggression directed at other tankmates.

I keep cyp's with mine and X. spilopterus, which is working very well, surprisingly. Maybe try an alto that could work, or nigripinnis. Depends how you want to setup the tank, a few different things could work.

HTH

Grant

Hey thanks Grant, i remember now what was in your tank! side note - i got a pair out of those shellies and they are nursing about 9 fry!

Im tempted tp remove the sub dominant male from the group but I also want a back up in case things go sour ...

The nigripinnis or cyps (would have to go malasa or utinta though) sound good, might have to make some enquiries .. Ive got some calvus in another tank but would rather leave them where they are ..

Thanks heaps Grant!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thats good news :thumb

I'm not an expert in shellies (like Colfish) but my basic motto is if its working then don't change it. I have my meleagris in small colonies and they breed well, they are in Tang comunity tanks - 5*2 etc with cyps, altos and sandsifters..they seem to be more productive for me than if in a small tank with just a pair. I tried to have justa pair in a 2 foot but they never seemed happy and not very active. In the community style they look much healthier, happier, much more active and breed often.

One thing I have noiced though is that you need to remove fry sooner as rival females try to take out opposing females fry.

What size tank is your in?

Grant

Archived