Guppy Production - Any One Tried?

LucifersJester

I am thinking of trying to do some guppy production - as it seems the stocks from suppliers are all disease ridden and the quality is crap. <_<

Has anyone tried this?? Any hints? Tips? I was thinking high filtration, weekly water changes, lots of floating plants for hiding and excess nutrient removal and highish temps (27 deg)... in a 4x2x18 size tank

What say people?? Thoughts? Rants?? Raves??? :blink

Cheers

I say dont waste such a big tank on guppies. Not that there is anything wrong with guppies :roll

Whack them into a 2ft, max 3ft tank, half decent filtration, and cover the top with elodea (banned to be sold in NSW in July i think it is). And scoop the elodea every day, and remove babies and put into another tank.

Thats my rave

KB

I am thinking of trying to do some guppy production - as it seems the stocks from suppliers are all disease ridden and the quality is crap. <_<

Has anyone tried this?? Any hints? Tips? I was thinking high filtration, weekly water changes, lots of floating plants for hiding and excess nutrient removal and highish temps (27 deg)... in a 4x2x18 size tank

What say people?? Thoughts? Rants?? Raves??? :blink

Cheers

I am in the process of setting up a guppy tank but for different purposes and not manufacturing feeder fish.

I also want to know where can you get good decent guppy around Sydney?

On the Bay list they have wild guppy cheap but normally these wild are then sold as feeders. Are they really wild caught?

Cheers

Hilton

I think Bay are a decent supplier with their guppies at the moment. I know another one in Melbourne (I think that's where they are) are rife with diseases in their guppy stock and are raising them in high salt content water...

I will probably try the 2 ft cube with heaps of plants and even a water cycling tub too... I'll see how I go :)

And these won't be feeders - I have been asked to see if I can provide an alternative sourse of coloured fish for a mate who keeps killing his own - plus I've never done it before :lol4:

About 5 years ago I filled my 5x2x2 up with elodea and threw in around 50 guppies (20male 30female)

heated to 28degrees and left them to do what ever it is they do. obviously fed them twice a day but thats all.

2 months later i had hundreds of the little buggers. after about 4months, even after constant trips to the LFS to get rid of them, i had way too many and like i always tend to do i got bored and gave them away.

A year ago i tried the same thing but changed my ratio to 10male and 40 female guppies but lost all of them within a week. Im pretty sure it was due to the fact that everyones breeding them in tanks with added salt. Id never heard of that until recently.

Im gonna have a go at it again with added salt.

But like you i cant find any decent, healthy looking guppies around.

let me know if you find some.

Mitch

Yes, Elodia is being banned. Apparently the risk of it overtaking our native waterways are to great.

I've heard it already has a strong hold in some rivers. Some idiots just ruin it for others. I don't understand why they release it.

A number of other plants are being banned aswell, but not sure what they are.

Yes, Elodea is being banned. Apparently the risk of it overtaking our native waterways are to great.

I've heard it already has a strong hold in some rivers. Some idiots just ruin it for others. I don't understand why they release it.

A number of other plants are being banned aswell, but not sure what they are.

Elodea is under control in some states in Australia. We also have native forms of Elodea which is also under control due to it being weedi in nature... It may be banned for sale in some states - not all.

The only reason I know this is because I work for a national govt body and I deal with plant imports. :)

Archived