My Latest Malawi Male

Matty

First time I've seen these guys in the state. I would have got the two females he had with him for breeding, but the laws down here forbid you to sell aquarium fish

The guy at the LFS had no idea what it was. He tried to tell me it was a "Red Fin Acara" :angry:<_<

IPB Image

but the laws down here forbid you to sell aquarium fish

...And the knuckleheads in government probably still wonder why nobody wants to move to Tasmania :roll

...except Simon :lol2:

Nice looking fish by the way.

I would have got the two females he had with him for breeding, but the laws down here forbid you to sell aquarium fish

Great shot Matty & lovely fish :thumb .

I am a bit lost with your statement. Laws forbid you to sell aquarium fish :confused: How did you buy this one & if you got this male why not two more females.

Please explain the law down there.

thx

Rat

I would have got the two females he had with him for breeding, but the laws down here forbid you to sell aquarium fish

Great shot Matty & lovely fish :thumb .

I am a bit lost with your statement. Laws forbid you to sell aquarium fish :confused: How did you buy this one & if you got this male why not two more females.

Please explain the law down there.

thx

Rat

I think he means there would be no point in breeding them because he can't sell the fish or distribute them to other people in Tasmania?

The fish is about 10-12cm.

Now, the IFS (Inland Fisheries Service) state that you are not allowed to transport fish from an inland waterway (an aquarium is called an inland waterway in Tassie :confused: ) The only exception to this rule is from a LFS. - Don't qoute me on that exact phrase, but it's something along those lines.

They (IFS) also state this. (and you can quote me on this) -

In regards to un-wanted fish, the Inland Fisheries Service (IFS) encourages all hobbyists to euthanise all un-wanted fish so as to avoid any translocations or associated risks with these fish being released. As section 128 & 128A of the Act states, without written permission no-one can move or release freshwater fish.

Registered aquarium outlets are not permitted to acquire fish from un-registered dealers, breeders etc. If discovered by the IFS this may result in cancellation of their registration and a large fine for both parties. The aquarium Industry was recently written to in this regard.

You can find all this in the Inland Fisheries Act HERE

Wouldn't you think that Tassie of all places would be the most difficult state for cichlids to live and breed in it's waterways (cichlids needing a water temp of 25 degrees +) My feeling is that they (IFS) are scared of another European Carp saga

So even if I could breed these fish, It is illegal to sell them to any member of the public or even back to the LFS for re-sale. They would prefer you kill the fish.

HOWEVER members of the Tassie Cichlid Society have put together a letter addressed to an MP asking for the rules to be changed and we are waiting for a reply - who knows how long it will take.

Thus being the reason it's hard to promote cichlids or fish keeping in general in Tasmania.

Anyway I could go on, but if you want to know more or even help in any way, log into the Tassie Cichlid Scene TCS

*steps down off soapbox* :B

Careful Rat, Matty is retarded. He's only got one head.........

And yes Laura I'm prepared for the lecture on the proper use of the word.... :roll:lol2:

Yeah, the laws in Tassie are quite restraining ad unfair on the local hobbyists...

As Matty said, some of our dedicated members have put together a little action plan and are waiting on a reply from a formal letter to the Department of Primary Industries and Water!!! Hopefully our near 50 local society members can make a difference if we go about it the right way! :-)

Awesome fish Matty, and it's a bloody great photo too! :clap:

Cheers,

Pete.

Archived