Ph Controller

paulibius

Just wondering if anyone has used these on there Co2 Systems for controll of ph in plant tanks. My only problem with them is will they put enough co2 into the plant tank while controlling the ph.

Any info on using these in plant tanks will be appreciated.

Cheers Paul

co2 saturation is measured by the pH compared to the kH

as the hardness of the water goes up, the pH has to drop by less to have a higher co2 saturation.

that is at a kH of maybe 4dH

you would only need a pH of about 6.7 will give you a co2 ppm of 25 which is pretty good, most people do shoot for 30ppm though

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-dietsch.gif

if you know what you are doing with a ph monitor and you have proper diffusion of co2 you can alter the saturation of co2 in your water to almost anything you want.. even above 30ppm where it starts to affect fish...

I used to have one but sold it as it was a hassle and you don't really need one. The hassle was that you had to callibrate it every month and replace them every year and they are not cheap. As long as you have a solenoid to switch the C02 off when your lights go off you will be fine. I would also recommend having a air stone on at night when the C02 goes off.

Dave.

I have used a Sera CO2 sytem with a computer to control the flow and I must say that it regulates the PH very well, the plant have never looked healthier. The computer has an built in alarm and recalibration is easy, I have only done it twice, setup and when I had a black out.

I found that just placing the probe in a vile of tank water when doing a change every month meant that I didn't have to calibrate it everytime.

The only problem I had with it was that the bottle included with the kit was to small for the tank and I found myself refilling it often, I eventually got a larger one.

Hope this Helps.

I would also recommend having a air stone on at night when the C02 goes off

Is this to dissipate any excess amounts of dissolved C02 when the plant is less likely to photosynthesize?

Thanks for replies. Has anyone got a list of what ph controllers are available in Australia. Also if any one has pics that would be cool. I also got a a red sea soilanoid should all controllers be able to be pluged into that. Cheers Paul

Archived