4x2.5x2 Pics Inside

barnesy

Hey guys

I just bought a new display tank and am looking for suggestions on what to put in it.

As you can see from the dimensions it is taller than normal, so i would like to see fish swimming on all levels of water.

i was thinking angels and neons/guppies

thanks

Mitch

now with pics

Angels are lovely looking fish - just keep in mind that they get very big very quickly and can be nasty to other fish and each other - they are still a cichlid after all.

What about some of the rainbow fish? They look georgeous once they settle in.

Large schools of things like rummy noses can look fantastic in a large tank.

Why not go with discus, you can have corys on the bottom, schools of tetra like rummy nose, cardinals and brazil bleeding hearts and some nice discus swimming around, the depth is perfect for them, i have a 4x2.5x2 that i am going to do tropheus in.

• 3 weeks later...
Why not go with discus, you can have corys on the bottom, schools of tetra like rummy nose, cardinals and brazil bleeding hearts and some nice discus swimming around, the depth is perfect for them, i have a 4x2.5x2 that i am going to do tropheus in.

Discus would be great in a tank liek that. I have some and they are my fav. fish. If the tank is planted i highly recommend!!

neons are a good choice, but maybe not for when the angels get bigger ( it depends on how big you buy the angels), silver sharks are always a great option for neons, they look great together and the sharks wont touch them. Clown loaches are a good bottom dweller, and if bougt small should not harm the neons. If you are looking for a fish that swims on the surface, i suggest you get some dwarf guramis.

If you are looking for someting a bit bigger and is gentle, my aim would be to get discus, although you should not introduce them into a new tank, you should wait for at least a month before you get them, this way the bacteria has a chance to build up in the filter.

( sharks may not suit discus as they are a bit too fast)

I started with these fish, and found that they look good and get on together really well, plus they are fairly reasonably priced, you dont want to buy a $40 discus and loose it within the first week.

:thumbup:

Some great suggestions here.

As people have already stated, those angels will have a nice snack from the neons ;)

I don't recommend keeping neons with silver sharks, the sharks can get huge :blink I've seen a specimen that was easily over 30cm. A mouth that size could fit 6 neons in 1 go ;) And that's probably too big for a 4ft anyway. The clown loaches would be a great idea and I've seen them kept with tiny fry so I think you'd be safe, although maybe someone with more experience with these fish could fill me in on that.

If you're looking for something to fill in the top of the aquarium, I recently saw quite a tall heavily planted aquarium with a school of fish it was either twin spot rasboras or dwarf rasboras, and they schooled just under the surface of the water, and there was also cardinals in the tank, so 1 school of rasboras at the top 1 school of cardinals at the bottom and when they got spooked they'd all dart the same way it's amazing to look at, and they were the only fish in the tank. If that's not enough grace and beauty for you, go with a school of discus as well. I've never liked a tank with 6 different coloured discus it's never appealed to me, I much rather a tank with only 1 colour of discus, and at most 2 if the colour combination is right, though that's just me :dntknw:

Thanks for all the sugestions team

Over the last couple of weeks I went out and bought;

40 neons from various LFS'

10 Glo Light tetras

2 clown loaches

1 pakistani loach

2 blue pearl gourami ??

and

4 half beaks

is there any room for a couple of discus?

Il whip up some photos tonight.

be warned, Im not the best photographer.

lets see if this works.

let me know what you think. What would you guys do?

Full Tank shot

IPB Image

IPB Image

RHS

IPB Image

A couple of the kids

IPB Image

Ive got the tank running on two canister filters, an otto and a sacem 2000.

The sand is from the local wetlands and ive got a couple of bunches of vallis, hair grass and amazon swords.

Is there room for discus?

Just a question about the substrate..

Where abouts are these local wetlands and is it legal taking it from there ?

Thanks

Tanks looking great by the way ..

well all you need is a bucket to fill in its not like everyone is going there for sand

lol it wouldn't harm the environment losing a few bucket of sand i think :)

Archived