Favourite Display Cichlid ?

ZULU

Hi All,

I'm looking for ideas for an African Cichlid Tank.

What is your favourite Display Cichlid and why ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Please don't ask about Ph, parameters, etc; just go with the flow.

Thanks

Michael :hug:

ATM in my malawi display tank would be a fuelleborni. (not the marbled one) You can see him in some of my recent pics. See here, here and here.

However I am always keeping an eye out (pun intendid) for a Dimi comp. Andy (ViS) had one that I saw in a display a few years ago and they've been my favourite ever since. :B

Here's a link. Dimidiochromis compressiceps

Maaaan, I dont know which one i love honestly.. I keeps a varities of Malawian Cihlids and I love them all. personality..personality..personality also the best time to watch them... when it is feeding time and MATING time..You know what i do to impress my visitor I feed them..(not the visitor LoL )

i love the colour on my full grown male Red Empress. Also i think an Electir blue when fully coloured up is awsome.

Its all about the quality of the fish, you can get what ever you want but the difference between a good quality cichlid and one of poor quality is huge

Depends How big your tank is but a couple of Zair Blue Frontosa's will make the tank look awesome or some nice featherfins.

Good Luck mate hope you have fun finding what you want

A nice male electric blue always looks great, and they never hide.

As matty said, a large male dimi comp is tough to beat for gaining people's interest when they see the tank.

tropheus moorii.entertainment value is a1 due to them being on the go all the time. but u need lots of them to disperse the aggressiveness and in a large tank . ideal ratio is 25-30 adult fish in a 6x2x2.

It is amazing how few display fish come up in the classified forum. When I first joined a couple of years ago fish like Taiwan Reef, Red Empress, Auloncara types, Electric Blues, Afra Cobue were the rage. Now it is L numbers and Frontosas (but only if they are blue). What has happened to the breeders. The number of listings seems to have slowed as well, though this could be my perception because I am on the look after only browsing in the past year or so.

Any thoughts ?

Michael

Sorry Zulu, I've nothing constructive for you, but this is a great thread to read, especially for someone aspiring to have a african cichlid tank in the near future, but knowing nothing about the species. Where does one go to find out about african cichlid temperaments and nature? I hope to have a happy environment, where all fish play nicely...

Most of my favourite display fish are actually americans, but if we're talking africans, a fully grown and coloured-up venustus is a real eye-catcher.

Hi Willo,

The SCP Link at the bottom of the forum page will take you to the Sydney Cichlid Page. Here you will find articles and a section on cichlid profiles. The NSW Cichlid Society runs meetings (One just finished this evening) You will find people willing to talk to you and fish for auction at reasonable prices.

I hope that helps. Others may also have suggestions for you.

Regards

Michael

Hi,

I really enjoyed the meeting.

George Wright gave a talk on making weir filters. I really enjoyed this and it made a lot of sense.

The auction was good. There were a lot of bristlenose at ridiculous prices for Albinos, Orange Spots & Peppermints - so cheap and so many.

Regards

Michael Toohey

Hi Willo,

The SCP Link at the bottom of the forum page will take you to the Sydney Cichlid Page. Here you will find articles and a section on cichlid profiles. The NSW Cichlid Society runs meetings (One just finished this evening) You will find people willing to talk to you and fish for auction at reasonable prices.

I hope that helps. Others may also have suggestions for you.

Regards

Michael

Thanks Zulu - tis a good resource!

As for peppermints, i love em - i have one in my tank, and when he comes out, he is a great sight! Wouldn't mind some more actually - might have to earmark the auction when it's next on.

Yellows, maingano, afra cobue, A Baenchsi and some big catties. Well that is what is going in my Display\breeding 6x2x2. Or a good display tang tank with maybe some leptosoma, Julies and some shellies or sandsifters like fucifer or Ventralis (sp??)). Depending on the size of your tank you Tropheus species tank with say Dubosi and Chipimbi or Ndole reds or Nkonde Yellows. There are some really good breeders with high quality F1 fish around you can choose from.

cheers

rosco

Almost impossible to select just one favourite.....

My dimi comp is coloured up beautifully at the moment and going crazy.

But like Boss Hog suggest a beautifully coloured electric blue whilst common is a site to behold. :thumb

I picked up a Sulphur Crested Lithobate on the weekend. While he was being harassed in the tank he was in he has coloured up a little with a very nice orange blaze. I think these are great as a display fish. You cannot go past a nice electric yellow either. Some say they are common but the reason is that you just have to have some. They say Malawi I think.

Michael

Archived