Foam Backgrounds

Theosam

I used 50mm for my 6x2x2. I used off cuts and siliconed them onto the front to create ledges etc.. At some points is over 100mm thick and down to 35mm in other parts. Its now over a year old and is holding fine. Works out much, much cheaper.. I go my foam from Clarke.

Cheers

Dave

I used 50mm for my 6x2x2. I used off cuts and siliconed them onto the front to create ledges etc.. At some points is over 100mm thick and down to 35mm in other parts. Its now over a year old and is holding fine. Works out much, much cheaper.. I go my foam from Clarke.

Dave

how did you cut your foam and did paint it and put proxy resin on it etc. I am not creative :no: but my wife is :yes:

Cheers

rosco

Thats exactly what I want Dave!

Like Rosco asked, Is it possible for you to give us a description of materials used?

E.g. Did you use a pond sealer to paint the background etc...

Cheers

Theo

I cut the foam using a kitchen knife, For the rough texture on the foam I used a chisel and draged it across the foam with pressure. That gave it a real rough rocky look. I also did this to carve into the foam. It was easy by very, very messy.. Finaly I finished it with pond sealant that I got from bunnings. I used black and it come up a treat. I looked at the epoxy side of things but I was going to be very expensive. The pond sealant is Ph nuetral, and safe for fish. I was very happy with the cost and the finnished product.

Cheers

I am looking at this idea myself... can anyone tell me what sort of 'damage' using silicon to attach the foam to the back of the tank has to the glass? Should the foam look crap, can the silicon be easily removed?

Furthermore, if one was to use either resin, or the pond sealer stuff, do you apply it to both the front and back of the foam (i.e. even the side that you place the silicon to attach to the glass)?

Thanks in advance.

Willo the silicon wont damage the glass in anyway. Im actually using a 2' tank that had an old background stuck to it. I simply used a new razor to carefully clean the silicon. No damage was done to the glass.

As for my new foam background I only painted the front and sides with pond sealer. I left the back, as I believe the foam should stick better to the glass... see it as added security.

Best of luck.

I will post some pics of my finished background soon.

Cheers

Theo

Hi guys,

Sam finished his first attempt on his styrofoam background for a small 1 foot tank.

Here are some pics as promised...

1. 100mm styrofoam

IPB Image

2. Half way through carving

IPB Image

3. Finished carving ready for sealer

IPB Image

4. different angle

IPB Image

5. Halfway through first coat of sealer

IPB Image

6. Finished product. 3 coats black sealer and then lightly touched with grey sealer for special effects..

IPB Image

7. Different angle

IPB Image

Let us know what ya think.

Cheers

Theo & sam

i think its great. would be great to sea it in the tank mate? can you give me the name of the products used please and a rough price please?can u get larger sheets of the foam? i think i might give it a go.

1 Ltr Crommelin Waterproofing Pond Sealer (non toxic) from Bunnings Warehouse - $23

100mm Styrofoam sheet from Clark Rubber - available in different sizes - $21

Being covered in all the styrofoam off cuts - PRICELESS !!!!!

LOL

We have to wait for the sealer to cure for 7 days before putting in the tank.

We used 2 colours Black & Sandstone. ( We mixed the two and made some grey as well )

Cutting the Styrofoam is messy so be prepared for it. The stuff gets in everything !

Clark rubber at Carringbah sells different size sheets of Styrofoam. The sheet we got covers the back of a standard 3 foot tank.

Cheers

Theo

Just my 2cents worth when i made my background, i found that hiting the foam with a porta gas made the foam shrivel up and look a little more realistic than cutting it with a knife.

Then i use sand and cement and added colour and painted it all ( the painting had to be done by hand)

thats a good idea gino. i heard another guy say he tried to make his own rocks with sand/cement and experimented with them in a tank but they started mucking the water up do u have any problems with this?

thats a good idea gino. i heard another guy say he tried to make his own rocks with sand/cement and experimented with them in a tank but they started mucking the water up do u have any problems with this?

You must use the right amount of water when using cement based systems. This is very important (called water:cement ratio). If you use too much water the resulting "rock" will be weak and possibly dusty (or powdery) when it cures. This will probably result in cloudy water.

If you are planning on making thick sections then you will also have to select your aggregate (sand, stones etc) so that the material doesn't shrink and crack. Too much cement will almost certainly lead to shrinkage cracks.

Information on mix ratios and water:cement ratios can be found on the Cement and Concrete Association website www.concrete.net.au

You could consider buying a pre-blended render or screed. They have a range of sand gradings and some have fibres to help with reinfocement.

Also, if you are going to use additives - NEVER use PVA based materials (such as bondcrete). PVA reacts with water to form acetic acid (and other nasties). This will affect your water chemistry. Make sure the additives are suitable to be wet (Acrylic or other suitable ones).

Remember that cement is alkaline. So if it is not sealed it will raise pH.

I suggest you use an oxide to colour your cement because it is inert. So the colour should be a powder (not a liquid)

Failing that you could just buy some tile grout - it is already coloured!

I can help with info about additives, renders and other products if you have questions...

No i never had problems with the water going cloudy. ;)

I just used premixed sand & cement and never had a problem, but i let it cure and i washed it throughly so i had no bleaching problems later. :thumbup::thumb

The only problem i did have was that the fish loved the extra hiding spots with all the caves that were formed with the background and i didnt see my fish that much :no:

Also, if you are going to use additives - NEVER use PVA based materials (such as bondcrete).

Failing that you could just buy some tile grout - it is already coloured!

just make absolutley certain that it's not anti bacterial. or anti fungal, if it says for use in bathrooms and kitchens forget it

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

These photos dont do much justice either... They actually look heaps better in the flesh.

I will post some more pics of other Backgrounds made soon as well.

As for the topic on rocks and backgrounds made from sand & cement, it would be really good if you guys can show us your creations as well...

Cheers

Theo

Archived