Gamma Correction

Other Ed

Hi,

I thought I had my display Gamma set ok but now I'm not so sure. On the digi cam display pictures look great, then on my screen they look real dark. Whats the best way to set the gamma. I have a matrox g400 card and a crt monitor, the matrox has adjustment but no numbers (0 - 2 or whatever)

I have looked for a while with google but its way to techo for me, and the grey boxes and bars never look like the same colour, how could they be there not the same! blink.gif

can anyone post a link or give some advice on this as its all to do with posting pics of my fish so you can see them right

TIA

Ed.

Have a look at my avatar pis on the left. I think its too dark but on the cam it looked ok. Yea my image software hase gamma correction with the numbers, but where should it be set those grey boxes are never the same.

What I was really looking for was to have all pictures showing properly, YeW's avatar used to look like to dark olives! i couldnt even see the leaves behind. So if i fix the gamma in my image software it may be to bright for others. I think.

TIA

p.s my cam is Ricoh Caplio G4 wide

Ed.

I'm a bit lost here Ed

So you say that even YeW's avatar is dark also. If that's the case then it has nothing to do with the camera.

Right click your desktop and select Properties fome the menue. Then select the settings tab and tell me what you have the colour (color) seting at (I run mine at True Color 24 bit)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My colour is set at 32bit true color.

The pictures in my digi cam lcd look bright and ok, on my pc screen they look dark. I turned up the gamma (and could see YeWs avitar after the change) but still the pictures look brighter on the digi cam.

here is a screen shot of my display properties....

user posted image

Thanks again for the replys,

Ed.

Set gamma to 1.00 on your screen, then adjust gamma / brightness / lightness / hue / etc in software.

There generally isn't a reason to alter primary display gamma unless there is a defect / anomaly in the brightness level reproduction of the screen or the card.

Set the monitor's contrast to maximum, adjust the brightness until it is comfortable and set gamma to 1.00 and you're well on your way.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Thanks for the replys,

The monitor is already set to max brightness and max contrast.

suspect you may be right..

unless there is a defect / anomaly in the brightness level reproduction of the screen or the card

If I reset the gamma now everything goes a bit dark. sad.gif

I thought that was what gamma correction was all about different monitors and different settings, getting them to all look the same? sad.gif

Ed.

Archived