Plant ideas

StoneBridgeComputing

Hey everyone, its Chris (Fishy Chris from the old forums).

Well im wanting to re-do my planted tank and make it look heaps good smile.gif

I was looking around on the internet last night, and I have a few ideas, and wanted to know what everyone thought.

Firstly, having Christmas Moss (or something similar) put onto a mesh as the background, so there is this nice wall of Moss.

Then I would tie some Riccia on to some driftwood.

Finally, have a lot of Glosso in the gravel as a sort of carpet.

How does that sound for starters? Does anyone else have anyother ideas? What about ideas on what other plants to put in it in the centre as some nice feature plants etc? Also, Is Christmas Moss even available in Australia? If not, what is something similar? I think Java Moss would grow too long and out of control for what Im wanting.

All ideas are welcome. There will only be alot of BristleNose Catfish in there, 3 Clown loaches, and I will soon be adding some Cardinal Tetra's or Neon Tetra's.

Also, if you have some plants that would look good in it then please feel free to offer me a price on them (and links to some pics would be great).

Cheers,

Christopher Hall smile.gif

StoneBridge Computing

I'm after Xmas moss too. I've had a hunt around and Hoges has helped, but when we think we find it the LFS has just miss labeled java moss. dry.gifmad.gif

Yeah - Java moss just grows too fast and too long, so it would take control of the whole tank without much time at all. Thats why I wanted Xmas Moss. Is there anything similar that doesnt grow too long?

Glosso and clown loaches (that love digging)? Don't think so. I assume you have a high light tank if you are considering Glosso...

Glosso and clown loaches (that love digging)? Don't think so. I assume you have a high light tank if you are considering Glosso...

Haha, I didnt even think about my Clown Loaches. However, they do not dig much at all. They seem to just stay cramped in a shell (there is 3 of them cramped in this small shell, and then my large bristlenose male jumps in aswell), so I barely see my clownies :-S

As for lighting, I have 2 tubes running at the moment on my 3 foot tank, and plants have been growing like crazy, but I do have a lot more lights if I need them.

Cheers,

Chris smile.gif

I've got some ideas that might be helpful.. blush.gif

Firstly, for the Riccia..it needs strong light to get it growing riapidly. By that time the new leaves will flow to the top of the tank, and needs to tight them up again onto something..it will become very massy~ I suggest that maybe you shouldn't tight them onto a driftwood, since it won't stick on the wood as other moss will. I would rather tight the Riccia onto a clear plastic covered with a net on it allowing the Riccia to grow like a semicircle shape.

As for the Glosso, it needs very strong light to grow..but they might grow vertically rather than horizontally...thus the carpet frontground might become mid-ground.. huh.gif I found that it's pretty hard to get control of this plant. Since both Riccia and Glosso needs large amount of light and CO2, other plants that require lower demand of light such as java moss, some ferns and anubias might get "burn" when over-lighting. Therefore I think plant selection is an extremely important decision to make. unsure.gif

For the X'mas moss, I don't think it's available in Sydney..since I have never seen it before..but if it is available in the market, I'll be the 2nd to get some! wink.gif May be trimming the java moss is the only solution to keep it short.

Hi

Kribbie u are spot on. I have being hunting Xmas moss ( or some time called taiwan moss) for quite some time now but they not available in aus.

As for glosso and riccia u need atleast 3 watt per gallon which is quite strong light in order for them to grow well, and i gotta tell yar its really pain in da butt they take alots of maintenance alot (e.g trimming ) . As for the issue growing vertically is basically due to not strong light which force the plant to grow upward to get access more light . So its really u dont have to choose glosso to get builtifull carpet foreground.

Here's some of mine suggestion u can do:

chain sword is what im using atm as for foreground they only look nice when they are compact dense (looks kinda flat grass foreground). As for light level are medium level ( around 2 watt per galloon will do ok and they grow quite fast like glosso if u have right fertiliser and light).

Another thing is leliolopsis (sorry spelling) this i found extreme easy but very slow grow looks very attractive ( looks like grass terran) i also have this in mid foreground as well . They dont have much light as other plant are covering light on top but they do still grow , why? bcoz i have hight fertiliser.

As for my opion if u have money go leiolopsis ( very low maintenance) other wise go chain sword .

At first when u buy chain sword they will melt away after 2 week but dont worry too much as they will grow back this is due to the fact that most of them are emerse form from LFS.

As for riccia i was kinda interested in them when i starting to aquascape with my tank but then i think twice (too much maintenen) bcoz my tank is 2 foot deep dont want to stick my hands in every once or twice a week very bugger.

So as for the principle its really up to u wot u really want , low maintenance or high . For me go with low smile.gif

plant i recommend are any crypt type they low light and low maintenance ( i actually order acouple type from LFS setting up new low maintanence tank .

Hope this light u up abit .

cheers

Hello Chris,

I have tried the "wall of moss" effect, but with cork and Java moss.

Maintenance is really a problem as you have to trim it regularly to keep it looking nice and the little off cuts get between your plants and start growing, they are quite difficult to remove.

It does look really good, but not worth the effort in my opinion. dry.gif

Cheers

Brett

ps What is the difference between Java and Xmas moss.

Haha, I didnt even think about my Clown Loaches. However, they do not dig much at all. They seem to just stay cramped in a shell (there is 3 of them cramped in this small shell, and then my large bristlenose male jumps in aswell), so I barely see my clownies :-S

You are lucky then; mine have made a complete mess of my Lileopsis (which were doing well before), and started holes in my E. barthii. mad.gif

I had them in to control some snail I had, so it may be time to move them out again...

chain sword is what im using atm as for foreground they only look nice when they are compact dense (looks kinda flat grass foreground). As for light level are medium level ( around 2 watt per galloon will do ok and they grow quite fast like glosso if u have right fertiliser and light).

Where is a reliable source of E. tennellus?

Archived