Hybrid alert !

DanceswithDingoes

If anyone comes across a beautiful blue apisto labelled as 'Agasizzi' it is most likley a new hybrid from Singapore called Apistogramma.sp "Steelblue", this fish is man made by crossing a catei species with a reticulosa species. I for one was sucked in (but NOT misled) and i advise anyone else that has purchased these fish to return them. Here's a pic

Aquatico St Louis

Hi guys,

I too have seen many of these - they have been around for a while. At one stage they were even coming in as borelli from the wholesalers - I was very disappointed not to have got the true borelli which are a much more beautiful fish IMO!

Stay away from these blue faced resticulosa hybrids.. I dont even understand why they bother - they arent nicer than all the natural species we can get .. :)

Thanks for the info Dances'. I have seen these fish in all 3 of my local shops lately as they are getting them pretty cheap from a well known Melbourne based wholesaler. I beleive they are also known as 'Blue head'. I was sceptical when I fiirst saw them in LFS. The ones I have seen look just like the photo. This species has apparently never been found in a natural state, and all investigations from Germany/Europe led to the source being......Asia

Yeah Shaun,

they have been around for a couple of years now. Go under the names Blue Steel, Neon Head, etc depending on the breeder/supplier. Ross Patrick (Bay) showed me a shipment they got in a couple years back now and niether he nor I were too impressed.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing them on a Bay price list in a very long time, but they still turn up in the LFS.

Alan

Archived