My New Arrivals...

AzFish

Hey all,

Agree, the pix are small, went overboard with mihlov :-) but they still show the little critters well enough! I picked these up from a breeder on the site, name escapes me at the mo', located in Sydney.

The DIY filter was easy easy to make, i used all things laying around the house. All it is a sink hole and 90degree elbow attached to direct flow. The media was all loose stuff around the house, chucked it all in, made a partition with some plastic things and filled it up with matrix and wool. Took 48 hours ( waited for the silicon to dry fully b4 putting it on the tank ) to have up and running. I recommend this filter to anyone who is a cheap a$$ like me and has a few powerheads laying around to make use of. Im going to try a gutter filter at some stage as well.

Have a good one!

Aaron

Hi Laurie,

I had some of the originals that came into the country and they were breeding very well. No deformities what so ever. I moved house recently and lost 9 out of the 10 in the breeding colony. Included were a male and three breeding females that bred regularly. :cryblow: I have one male from the original imports and 5 fry! and I'm making every effort to get them breeding again!!

Unfortunately, if the water quality is not upto scratch, the fry will be deformed. I have seen some shocking deformities in them and also the meleagris. :shock::zipit:

Cheers

I'll post up some pics of the filter soon. Was simple to make and cost me nothing as all the parts where laying around gathering dust :-)

Arj - Can you expand on your comment please? How can water quality cause deformities? I would of thought this had more to do with Genetics than environment?

Hey guys,

Yes genetics definitely plays the main role but I think that keeping them in less than optimum quality water also affects them from the fry stage. That's is my opinion. :) I think Nigel was the only one who brought the black occies in two separate shipments and they were awesome quality. Fry were healthy and even their fry didn't throw any deformities. BUT lately, I have seen some that came to Melb from Syd and they had crooked mouths, sqashed faces etc. Even the meleagris. :blink But my meleagris have not thrown any deformed fry and there was only one shipment of these guys. Look there are many many many variables and it is difficult to point just to one thing as the cause. :dntknw: I have not done any scientific studies but talking with people and listening to their fish keeping habits and practices says alot! :)

• 2 months later...

Archived