Paradise Fish

Trace21

Hi guys i am new to this forum, i just have a few questions about the pardise fish!

-what size do these guys start to breed?

-What is the best temp to get them to start building a nest?

-what is the simplist way to feed the fry and what do they eat?

-and is it best to have a filter in the tank or just an air stone?

i am just a little confused about these little guys, i have a pair of apricots and i would like to breed them they are some of the nicest paradise i have seen. the pair that i have are only about 4-5cms

thanks heaps

Tracey smile.gif

They breed at 4-5cm although will get larger.

As for feeding fry, same as for siamese fighting fish. Start with microworm and then work up to baby brine shrimp in a week.

no filters required when breeding as it will disturb their bubble nest. For fry grow out tanks, a mature sponge filter would be best.

What kind of paradise fish is an apricot paradise fish? Is it Macropodus opercularis? I bought one of them the other day and we all like it. I'd like to see pics of yours if you are able to take them. I like the way the fish reacts to us, it checks us out, watches us etc. Cool in a little fish like that.

sad.gif Sorry i cant take any pics, i dont know if that is their name either, they are all orange with the blue fins, there are no stripes like your average run of the mill paradise.

Yeah i like the paradise, they are really smart (i have learnt recently to feed them b4 i put my hand in the tank lol they will take nips at you blink.gif )

Mine are still very small, and they are still recovering from an attack, my b/f brought home some sort of zebra fish while i was at work, i am so lucky that i didnt lose them but they are slowly healing, once they have recovered completly i will try my hand at breeding these little guys, i just have to hope that the LFS will take them, fingers crossed anyways

Tracey

A lot of LFS will take them, just ring around.

Actually, if you get a spawn, i'll grab a female off you smile.gif

I have 3 girls and a guy in my 3' tank, all rescued from the feeder fish tank! wonderful fish, wouldnt want to be without them smile.gif

Try yours on frozen pea innards, mine go NUTS over them!

I would like to see an apricot paradise fish. I tried looking them up on the net with only one mention of one and no pictures. Maybe a line bred variant? Or is it a different species? I wonder.

Shame you are so far away from Sydney. I'm interested too.

If you get visited by a friend with a digital camera, get them to take a few pics!

M. opercularis is the paradise fish, it's just different colour morphs, eg: Apricot. I've bred my paradise fish a few times, alot like breeding Betta but more eggs. Mine are about 60-70mm SL, and the female can really pump out the eggs!!!

Being a coldwater fish, they breed at relatively low temps, 25-27 deg should be more than enough to get the male building his bubble nest. Make sure you isolate the male and then add females one at a time to see if he likes them i use a divider because they can be a little, over eager.

I absolutley love this fish. The male is by far one of the most attractive coldwater fish on Earth. When he starts flaring and carrying on for the female the colours are awesome!

GOOD LUCK!

I would take a couple of pics for not a problem but our camra is broken mad.gif but i will borrow one and take a couple of pics for you guys, but as i said b4 they are still showing the aftermath of an attack but yeah sure i will post a pic on here if i can get a decent shot of them.

If you guys are interested in taking a couple my b/f and i are planning a trip to New Castle at Christmas this year so if i can get them to breed i would be more then happy to take a couple of these little guys with me as i dont imagin they would be very big at this stage. No promises thou but if you are interested and i can get them to breed successfully and you are willing to come to NC for pickups. smile.gif Let me know we will see what we can arrange when the time comes

Apriccot is just a line bred colour morph that I have been playing with since the 1970's. Bayfish have taken over the apricot strain in the last couple of years and I am now working on a "Sky Blue" colour variant. Looks promising smile.gif

Actually, according to AQIS there are no female paradise in Australia, so none of us are breeding any!!! sad.gif

Since when do you trust Aqis? c'mon! *lol*

They dont check every shipment and a lot of the time they rely on the distributers ability to sex the fish smile.gif

There certainly are females over there, even if they arent for legal import.

laugh.gif

Abbey, here's where u're wrong... AQIS DO check every shipment and every bag!! Only trouble is, they don't know what they are looking for!!! laugh.gif

There are NO female paradise fish in Australia ok... NONE@! tongue.gif

.... yeah righ!

Looking to get some spike tail paradise fish, Black paradise fish and some others. smile.gif

kev

They come in black? really? COOL!

And they really do check every shipment? thats bizzare! i mean, i can fathom them popping the lid off to make sure there arent iguanas hiding out, but to check it against a list of fish? really? Thats gotta be a stinking big job for someone, especially someone who doesnt know fish!

AQIS on the whole are a tad dodgy tho, i have gotten all manner of things from OS that shouldnt have gotten through. They shouldnt have been sent to be either mind you, my rellies OS get a little overexcited sometimes dry.gif But i was certainly shocked when they arrived on my doorstep. I havent felt terribly secure ever since to tell the truth!

They do pull up every stinking shipment of coffee tho! *lol* that you can rely on *lol*

• 17 years later...