What type of fluoro when just one tube?

fiona

I have just taken out a grow tube from my 4ft and it now has a cool white in it that looks horrid. The grow tube isn't that great either, although it's better than the cool white, and anyway, the only plant I have in there is algae on the rocks. Which I don't mind as the fish like it.

I have a single tube fitting in the hood. What single tube would make the fish look the best? Colours from yellow to blue, also orange. The tank is in the lounge room so I want it to look great.

Try the NEC BR-HG. You can get them at Bunnings for not a lot. They're a nice bright, clear tri-phosphor.

Check here for spectral data etc.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I know what you mean... I got some well ugly tubes with my bare battens and headed for the LFS to get some Aquaglo / Powerglo tubes within about five minutes (can't get NEC in 3' easily). biggrin.gif

I've got NEC on the 2 footers and they really are the biz. IMO. At least with Bunnings you can take it back, no questions asked, if it's a dog. biggrin.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

I personally like the hagen powerglo tubes.

Not the cheapest , but I've had them running on tanks for 5 years and none have burnt out yet. They put out a very attractive light too.

Hey Andy, you do replace them? I.e. they are not the same ones for 5 years?

The light output drops over time.

Not nearly as much as the light manufacturers and sellers say it does, but over 5 years it would be quite a bit less.

I was under the impression that the spectral range became atrophied over about 6 - 12 months... but I don't have the $$$$ for renting test gear to find out the truth of it.

Admittedly my oldest Hagens are about a year or so, but am slowly going NEC as I get more new gear. I sold off the 4' complete systems (tank, lights, livestock, yadda yadda yadda) so no longer know their condition... and am restocking now.

The NECs seem to give good brightness, reasonable plant growth, reasonable heat rejection, good colour rendition (nothing to write home about, but good) and they don't cost too much. Now all I need to do is find a source of 3' NEC BR-HG as I plan to do another 3' tank in the next few months.

The NEC BG are not so good in my opinion - the light looks green to me.

FIONA: You will recognise the box by the colourful pictures of fish and plants and lots of Japanese text. If it's not in that box, it's not the right one.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Well I'm back from the hardware with 2 new NEC BR-HGs (and a cistern washer blush.gif ). A 4ft light and, impulse buy, a 2ft for the ocie tank. Great improvement! They look like yellow, orange, purple, and blue fish, not like a bunch of muddy brown fish. Looks good on the ocie tank too. For about $23 for the 4ft and about $15 for the 2ft I'm not complaining. smile.gif

Hi Fiona!

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

They stay pretty damned bright for a week or two and then settle down nicely (12 hours cycle) and give a smoother, but still strong clean white illumination.

Cistern washer? Is that an L-number species? wink.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

The spectral range doesn't bother me. I buy the lights simply because they put out a good light. I've never replaced one of the powerglos in 5 years.

The fish don't care about the light, and I don't keep plants, so if they become duller over time, it doesn't worry me (not that I've noticed any difference between new ones and 5yr old ones).

I have to put in some new lights when I do the new garage, so I might give the Bunnings jobs a go.

well people im an electrician and i go to my local electrical wholesaler and get what they call a daylight tube $4 works fine with the colours of the fish and heaps cheaper.they use this type of tube in offices and in meat proccessing areas eg butchers so they can get a true indication of colour in the meat and the office so its just like as the name suggests daylight

ssee ya

iain

Hey Yowie...

How do they look on your tank? What's the colour rendition like? I've seen some daylights look great for lighting up a room, but the spectral emission is completely r**ted in water.

If you can give me brands and model numbers that you have used with success, I'll be into L&H or Turk's like a shot. biggrin.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

hi ozi

well i think that the fish colour is good.ive got them on all tanks.the fish i have are hongi,saulosi,flameback,red empress,marleri peacocks,venustas,livingstoni,a compressorceps,neo multis,brichardis,tetracanthus,popellini,descampsi,hequi,blackbelts,synspillum,rivulatus,texas,rainbows,parrots,brasilliensis,suramensis,hartwegi,fenastratus,pleco,gibby,bn and like i said they all look good to me pretty much the same as most pictures ive seen on the net and posted up here.i do have pics ive taken but htey not taken with dig camera and i dont have a scanner.anywayfor the price of the tube best bet is to get one and see what you think,the brand that i hve is sylvania.hope that helps

iain

Archived