Substrate: Cleaning (009)

Hi i am new to the hobby, and just bought a tank i washed the gravel as well as i could but when i filled up my tank the water went brown, i have set up my canister which pumps 1200LPH, and have had it going for 2days, just wondering how long it will take to clear up so i can put some tertas in to start cycling it. thanks adam

Adam,

New gravel is a pain as it often needs to be washed a hundred times before its clean. The best thing to do from here is syphon all the water out and refill it slowly! ie, use your hand when pouring the bucket in so it doesnt splash all over the gravel causing the dirt to cloud the water. Let is run for a while and if still cloudy, repeat again. It could take a few days depending on the gravel you have.

cheers,

Daniel

If you have a small fountain pump or similar, pump the water back in with that but aim the water into a bowl or onto the back of a plate. That way you will stir up less muck.

If you're feeling dead lazy and don't want to pull all the water out, put the cannister on and clean the fine mesh every couple of days. It can take up to a week to clear.

Best way is what the others have said - drain, rewash, refill gently.

Don't worry about using a 'water clearing agent' (classic noob mistake - been there done that wasted money)... some work a little, some don't work at all.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hey,

The best thing to do is let the water setle, the brown is just the dirt in the gravel. Once it settles use a gravel cleaner and suck up all the dirt that has settled back down to the gravel. Then add some new conditioned water.

HTH

Richard

Archived