lights finally done

Nornicle

Maybe try and hook up a couple of small exhaust fans (same as in your PC tower)...

them babies are going to generate some serious heat, which may deteriorate the quality of the timber finish, let alone what it may do to your lids...

just a suggestion...

(or at least some ventilation holes at each end and up top...

Nornicle,

I count atleast seven bulbs there. What is your overall wattage ? Is the tank 6' x 2.5' high or 6' x 2.5 wide ? I don't think heat will be a problem with regular flouros well above the glass. No need for fans IMO. Lay down a large sheet of reflective material between the flouros and hood for a boost in lighting power. I am also planning a 180cm x 75cm x 75cm planted tank soon. I will be going for Aqualina compact flourescents rather than flouros. Cheaper in the long run.

Daniel... it is not so much the tubes, but the ballasts combined with the tubes, and also only 100mm of clearance (approx) from the glass...

I only state this as I have had lids on one of my own tanks crack due to the heat, plus the timber top piece of the hood, warped...

just a suggestion, but there is gunna be some heat in there...

yah cheaper in the long run but in the short i don't have the cash tongue.gif

i am indeed considering fans indeed.. need to get some.. dunno how to wire them up though, just to the power point or do I need a converter?

i've left it on for 3 hours and i cant feel much heat coming through the wood, also the lights are about 10 cm over the lids..

You can get 240 VAC versions of the cooling fans (some people call them 'muffin fans') which will plug right into the powerpoint. You might need to wire a plug and lead onto those.

There are heaps of low cost 12 VDC computer cooling fans on the market now. You would need a plug pack or some other way of giving them 12 volts. They push about 30 - 40 cfm which should be heaps.

Try it out with no cooling at first and add it later if you feel you need it. One of the good advantages of cooling is longer life for the lamps.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived