Comments on my setup please.

RichardM

I've asked this in another forum and didn't get many replies so I'll try here. :)

I keep American cichlids in a 5 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank.

2 each of:

Aequidens, rivulatus (Rex & Ruby)

Cichlasoma, carpinte (Tom & Terrie)

Cichlasoma, festae (Frank & Fiona)

Cichlasoma, nicraguense, (Percy & Pricilla)

Cichlasoma, octofasciatum, (Jack & Jill)

Cichlasoma, severum, (Stanley & Cybil)

Cichlasoma, synspilum, (Cyril & Cynthia)

I have a Fluval 403 canister filter and a Sacem 1200 with a sponge filter. The Fluval is used as a bio filter and its outlet is pumped though a custom under-gravel as a reverse flow.

The largest fish at the moment is Rex the Green Terror at about 5" and the smallest is Fiona the festae at about 1"

Any comments?

Enough filtration?

Could I add more fish?

I was thinking of a pair of Chocolate Cichlids (Cichlasoma temporalis) but would these be too shy with the others I have?

Thanks

Edit - Changed 304 to 403 (stupid keyboard)

i wouldn't add the choclate cichlids.... you have enough big bruisers there, and my experiance is that chocolate cichlids are gentle and interesting fish...

the tank is very well stocked and i'd be inclined to add another bigger canister filter, one fluvel really won't cut it alone when your fish are bigger.... also, you'll be cleaning it all the time....

it's personal preference of course. but i'd use a normal flow undergravel with a couple of large powerheads, and add another canister filter.

you can never over filter big cichlids IMO

I would have gone with a fluval 404 but your undergravel filter will probably kick in and help do the job. They are just pains in the butt to maintain.

Good luck with your Americanos

WW

I suspect these will be the trouble fish:

Cichlasoma, carpinte (Tom & Terrie)

Cichlasoma, festae (Frank & Fiona)

Frank and Fiona will definately cause some furious fighting when they mature :). If they decide to breed it may spell the end for several other fish in your tank.

As for Tom and Terrie, I don't find texas cichlids do well in mixed species tanks. They seem quite sensitive compared to other large american species.

HTH -

I would have gone with a fluval 404 but your undergravel filter will probably kick in and help do the job. They are just pains in the butt to maintain.

Good luck with your Americanos

WW

I'd have gone for the 404 as well but they didn't make them 15 years ago when I bought my 403. (typo in first post) :rolleyes:

The under gravel filter is a reverse flow. Do these still need maintenance?

Archived